Tuesday, December 20, 2016

2016 in Review: January-March

My gift to the family this year is an updated blog.  I got out of the habit of typing when my hands hurt constantly, but since that pain is over I really should get back to it.  You can't tell the whole story for anything in a Facebook post or text, so a blog is the next best thing.  I suppose I could call, but I don't enjoy talking over the phone either, so this will have to do!

January:

We started off the year with our usual New Year's Eve party and realized that it might be our last one for a long time.  The youth group always does a New Year's all-nighter and since Matt would start youth group in May, that kind of ends our celebration for awhile.  And that's okay, because life moves on, right?

The kids started their second semester of piano lessons at Maranatha's Music Prep School.  Matt decided to try a semester of lessons just to see how he liked it.  The final verdict was that he did enjoy it, but he'd rather just have fun on the piano on his own.  I'm just glad he decided to give it a go! 

Rob celebrated his 38th birthday with a low-key celebration at home.  He's not really a party animal at all :)  He was also working third shift to cover fork lift while they hired a new person, so he was pretty tired.

The biggest thing that happened in January was my trip to Universal Studios with my bestie.  We found out the prior November that I still had an airplane ticket to use and they originally told me this info with only two weeks left to use it.  I actually considering a one-day trip to see Graceland on the only day during those two weeks I could do anything, but instead my friend went to bat for me and got them to extend it to the following March.  We kicked around a bunch of ideas and settled on seeing the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal.  We spend three days running all over both parks and had a marvelous time.  It was wonderful to be in warm Florida for a few days, even if it was overcast and rainy most of the time.  I had a layover both ways in Philadelphia, which was a little stressful but ended up being kind of fun.  And I bought a sweatshirt, which I wasn't able to do when I went on a study tour of Philly back in college. 

February:

More of the same this month, with school and piano lessons, but we did use some free tickets we had for the Country Springs Water Park.  It was so fun to hit the waterslides during winter.  Rob and I even braved the outdoor hot tub for a bit.  At first it wasn't too bad, then about five minutes later we headed back inside.  We're brave, but not that brave! 

March:

We celebrated Ben's 10th birthday with a quiet day at home.  The kids and I went to see Zootopia that night and Ben got a free box of candy because it was his birthday.  Now they ALL want to go to the movies on their birthdays! 

Ben and Matt went to Camp Joy for a winter retreat.  Unfortunately, there wasn't any snow so they didn't get to do any of the fun winter activities.  They did play quite a bit of laser tag, so it wasn't a total loss.  Ben really enjoyed his first camp retreat away from home. 

Anna's 8th birthday was another fun, quiet day at home too.  I'm so grateful the kids don't expect huge amounts of hoopla on their special days!  Presents, special meals, and cake is enough. 

We attended the Walk Through Jerusalem at church on Good Friday, which we all enjoy.  Easter Sunday was a nice day as well, and I even sang with my group at church. 

After Easter, Anna started practicing for soccer again.  Always a little cold and frozen when soccer starts in March, but she loves it! 

No comments: