Thursday, November 12, 2009

Making Mommy Laugh

Today, Ben was "playing" the piano and he pulled out one of my Christmas books. He then started to sing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas", stopped halfway through it and said, "Mom, you can't marry Christmas!"

I was reciting a few poems for Matthew and started quoting Mary, Mary Quite Contrary. I got to "silverbells and cockleshells" when he stopped me and said, "Taco shells?" and laughed himself silly.

Anna had a few random moments of peek-a-boo. For instance, she was sitting at the table quietly munching on her cereal when she ducked her head under the table, then popped up, looking at Ben, and said, "Peekie boo!"

I do not, however, find their new wake-up times very funny. After almost two weeks of the new time change, Anna has gone back to her regular wake-up time of 7am. The boys, however, like to get up with Rob at 5am. If it's just Matthew, he will watch a movie while the rest of us sleep after Rob leaves for work. If it's just Ben, I can convince him to go back to sleep in my bed. But when both of them are up, I have to get up b/c there's no telling what evil thoughts lurk in their heads. Or loud thoughts. At least they go to sleep right away when they are put to bed at night. We do devos at 8pm and Anna and Ben fall right to sleep. Matthew will read in his bed then go to sleep. And they do share a room.

You know, back in the early days of Matthew's infancy, I would read in child care books about sleep requirements. Little did I know that my eldest would be at the minimum! There are some nights he gets about eight hours. Ben is usually at ten and Anna at ten with a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon. And I'm always amazed when I hear from other parents how long their children sleep. Amazed and envious. I love them at their ages now, but the sleepy part of me longs for the teen years when they sleep for large amounts of time. Who knows, maybe Matthew will go about nine hours by then! :)

4 comments:

Natalie said...

We were just commenting this week that we can't wait until Jonathan needs less than 11 hours of sleep because it's like waking the dead in the morning to get him up for school!!! Of course, Nicholas is wide awake, and he could be sleeping in. We definately have a difference in sleep requirements between the two of them.

gpagmafulkerson said...

Just to let you know again, your sleep requirements when you were little not long either. Got better as you got older.

Shanti said...

Yeah...Daniel seems to be a really early riser! I'm trying to get it so he wakes up at 7am. Right now, I'm lucky if it's 6am. He seems to want to get up at 4 am and play for an hour.

Beverly said...

I've always joked that I'll get my revenge on the kids when they're teens and I get to wake THEM up, heh!