Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bye-Bye Birdie

Tomorrow night we will bid a fond farewell to our new feathered friend. Four Lits have shown signs of an allergy and so we have to get rid of Sky. Ben is the hardest hit. He has never shown an allergy to an animal before, but for the past week and a half he has had a stuffy nose, bad cough at times, and purple rings around his eyes. I thought perhaps he was exhausted, so we've tried putting him to bed early, but nothing was working. I finally took him to the doctor yesterday and he said it looked like an allergy. I did a little figuring and when I realized his symptoms began a few days after getting the bird that he is indeed allergic. Anna, who is allergic to dogs and cats, has had more sneezing than usual but nothing awful. I have had light allergy symptoms each day but nothing unbearable. Rob, too, has had dry itchy eyes.

Matthew will be absolutely devastated when the bird goes home. He loves Sky and has done so well helping to take care of him. He is very ready for a pet, but we'll just have to do more research and find something we can all agree on and that does not bother our allergies. Makes me want to cry just thinking about him, because I know how terribly upset he will be.

He did tell me today that he thought Ben should go instead. I told him we could make Ben act like a bird but Ben didn't think that was a good idea.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Wow! I didn't know people could be allergic to birds! Have symptoms cleared up by now?

Unknown said...

Yes they have, thankfully. I didn't know that allergy was possible either, but I have a good friend who swells up when she's near parakeets, so I guess it can get pretty bad!