Friday, August 26, 2011

Harzler Hog Roast 2011

We had our last weekend away of the summer this past weekend and we went to the Hartzler Hog Roast. The family who hosted the event are relatives of my husband and they had 150 or so people attend the event. We were really looking forward to it since we had so much fun the last time they had one in '08.

Since Rob works late, we did not leave until Saturday. And I didn't even let him sleep in much because I spotted a mouse in my study! He caught it and no more have been spotted, but I was not about to let a mouse freely roam my house while we were gone.

We arrived around 1pm and had a few moments to see all the fun stuff awaiting us before the delicious potluck lunch. Since we came from a distance, we brought chips and Wildtree Garlic Galore dip and some bakery cookies. I think I'll try to bring a hot dish next time in spite of the distance since there seemed to be a lack of those. But it was a delicious meal and everyone (except Anna) ate their fill. It was rather hot that day, so I wasn't too surprised at her lack of appetite.

The kids had loads of things to keep them busy. As I said a few times, a child would had to work hard to be bored there! Here are the fun things that our children did: Played on a swingset, played in a child-sized play house complete with kitchen set, the zip line, face painting, bubble blowing, holding a kitten and bunnies, pony rides, finding money in a haystack, riding bikes in a barn, barrel rides, and looking at a barn full of animals. I think the only things they didn't do were the hay maze and coloring. Anna enjoyed the pink port-a-potty which even smelled nice. Ben informed me that he used it to b/c it smelled WAY better than the blue one :)

In the evening there was square dancing and Anna liked seeing the pretty dresses. Unfortunately, she WANTED one of them and proceeded to pitch a huge fit about it. She was pretty tired by that point. We headed out around 8pm to get the kids bathed and into bed. They had no trouble falling to sleep that night!

We enjoyed our Sunday visiting with relatives and Anna, my mother-in-law, and I went to look for some dress material. My MIL is going to make Anna a few jumpers and a skirt and we wanted Anna to pick out the material. She did find some she liked, but she also found sheer material with sparklies and all kind of other impractical things. Every time she found one she liked, she said, "Ooo-la-la!" She did pretty good waiting for the "boring" adults to finish :)

We came back on Monday and jumped into a whirlwind, as I had a stamp event Tuesday night. But now we're enjoying a leisurely end to the week before we start school on Monday.

No comments: