Thursday, September 1, 2011

First Days of School

We started our school week on Monday and it was a pretty tough day getting used to a real schedule again. Tuesday went better...then we had a bat incident on Tuesday night that left Rob and I pretty exhausted, so we've just been eeking our way through the material with the boys. Rob had to leave work early Tuesday night to help catch the thing, so he worked 14 hours yesterday to make up for it. Needless to say, we're all pretty exhausted. I'll tell the full bat story once I stop jumping at the least little noise.

Ben had his first soccer practice today and it went very well. He's a great little player and I think he's really going to enjoy himself. Matthew wants to try basketball in the winter, so that's why he's not playing soccer. That and I don't think he enjoyed it a whole lot anyway. Both boys will be taking swim lessons so we'll be a little busy in the evenings. Thankfully, all I have to do is sit during these activities, so there's no stress for me :) And I'm also thankful we homeschool or poor Ben would be completely wiped out by the end of the week!

During the summer months, our church has a Wednesday night program for the kids. Last night was the last night of the program and they gave out awards to the kids who had the top three places in points. Matthew won first place over all of the 1st-3rd graders. We're very proud of him, especially since he did all of his Bible memory on his own. God has gifted him with the same memorization skills as his father :)

The boys both wrote stories today in school, so I thought I'd share them both to end the post. Ben had to write about Pat the Rat, a character in the little stories he is reading.

"Pat is a fat rat. Pat is fat because he eats too much cheese and doesn't exercise. He does not like being fat, so he's going to try to exercise and not eat the fat kind of cheese but the skinny kind."

Matthew had to write a story he heard from a family member, but had to write it from that person's point of view. He chose a story his dad told him about the time Grandpa Litwiller ran over some bunnies. I wonder if Grandpa remembers doing that? I left the spelling errors as he wrote them :)

"My dad was mowing the lawn and accidently mowd over a bunny nest. Two died. Me and my brothers wanted to hold the bunnys. My dad said leave them alone. We held them."

1 comment:

Beverly said...

I remember Pat the Rat stories!!

You guys should do the Bible Bee some summer! Congrats to Matthew!! And to his great parents. :-)