Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter 2012

We had a marvelous time today as a family. I have to say that I enjoyed celebrating Easter far more than Christmas this year, mainly because I feel so much better! And, we did the whole day at our own pace.

Last night, we did the traditional Paas coloring of the eggs. The kids were so excited---and then as all of you know, had to wait! Wait for the eggs to boil, wait for them to cool off, wait for the color tablets to dissolve, wait for the eggs to be colored....etc, etc. And when we were done, they said, "That's it??" Anna doesn't remember doing this last year, so it was fun to see her get excited about everything. They finished putting stickers on the eggs this morning while I made a gluten-free coffee cake.

We opted not to do our egg hunt in the morning this year simply because we wanted to take our time and enjoy it. The boys were up at 6am for some reason and I thought that they might be excited about our afternoon. But no...they were discussing the real meaning of Easter! I was very surprised and please to hear them talk about the meaning of the day and review the entire Easter story. Anna popped up next to me a 1/2 hour later talking about the same thing! It is such a joy to hear my children excited about celebrating the resurrection of our Lord rather than finding a bunch of colored eggs and candy. (Although Anna did mention that the thieves hanging next to Jesus were wearing green and red underwear--must have been in a picture she had last week in Sunday school.)

Our Adult Bible Fellowships traditionally have an Easter breakfast, so we decided to bring a gluten-free coffee cake so that Rob would have something to eat. I fixed that while he prepped the ham. Good thing he loves puzzles so much because it almost didn't fit in the crock pot! I gave Matthew and Anna each a piece of the cake for breakfast and then sent one to church for Ben. His Sunday school teacher decided to bring in breakfast for her students and contacted me with the menu. He was able to have the eggs and juice, but I sent him coffee cake in place of her muffins and Chex cereal in place of the Fruit Loops.

We had a nice church service, although I did have to leave during the choir number. Still having some problems, but thankfully I did not have my usual over-stimulated issues this afternoon (I'll give an update on the fibro/sensory stuff in another post). When I picked up Ben and Anna from junior church, a worker popped out to tell me that Anna had been in trouble! First time that's ever happened! Apparently, she wouldn't stop talking during the story and had to be removed from the room. I have NO IDEA where she gets the chatter box stuff from.....

Lunch today was ham, mashed potatoes, and sauteed green beans. We picked up Easter cupcakes from Molly's yesterday, so the kids and Rob had a yummy dessert. (I was given a teensy weensy bite.) After lunch, I went to the backyard and hid the colored eggs, candy, and some toys. Grandpa and Grandma Litwiller sent some money for the kids, so we did buy a small amount of candy and a little toy with it. Rob and I bought them each a small outside toy and a family gift: a croquet set!

The hunt was an absolute blast! The kids were so fun to watch and they did a great job not picking up someone else's candy. (They were all labeled with initials.) I even hid one extra egg full of loose change and Ben was the big winner. We napped afterwards, then went back outside to play croquet. Anna got a little frustrated, even with Daddy's help, so we just let her play on her own. Eventually she gave up and came over to be my cheerleader. We made up our own rules, broke them, then make up some more :) The important thing is that we were out there as a family having fun. And I won. That's also important.

Rob and the kids are at church tonight. I wish I could be with them, but I don't think I want to do a Sunday night until I can fully handle Sunday morning. Anna usually stays home with me, but Rob wants to start training her in the service. We'll see how this one goes :)

Happy Easter!

No comments: