Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Answers

So, which irrational fear belonged to whom? Those of you brave enough to guess were way off!!

Who's afraid of the dark? That would be me. Yup, I'm 32 years old and scared to death of the dark. Just to clarify, however: I'm afraid of being alone in the dark. I'm okay if I'm with somebody, even the baby, but I always feel like something is going to get me if I'm alone. I won't even come home if there is nobody here after dark. Doesn't make sense, but that's why it's an irrational fear. Oh, Ben is afraid as well, so I suppose half-credit can be given for him :)

Who's afraid of heights? That's Ben. We discovered this a few months ago when he started complaining during diaper changes. He'd scoot himself into the far corner of the changing table. He also threw a fit when they tried to change him at church. If I carry him downstairs, he'll remind me not to drop him. He also does not like sitting on counters or the back of the couch. I'm thinking that he will NOT like rides at amusement parks....

Who's afraid of loud noises? That's Anna. She's only afraid of them if she's not being held. We took her to the 4th of July parade yesterday and she was fine on my lap (although she startled in her sleep several times.) When I had her in the stroller at the VBS ending rally, she freaked out during a video presentation. She wouldn't calm down until I left the gym. Half-credit to Rob's mom, however, for guessing Rob b/c that used to be his fear.

Who's afraid of radio commercials? That's Rob. Okay, so he's not really afraid of them, but some of them are pretty weird. He listens to a lot of public radio at work. Rob doesn't have an irrational fear, so we had to come up with something. I suggested being alone with three kids scared him, but he said that made him look like a wimpy dad.

Who's afraid of being abandoned? That leaves Matthew, the most accurately guessed one. We think this fear was born during his years of day care. He has to know where I am at all times and has to know we're coming back on the rare occassions Rob and I get a date. (Might be time for another one....last one was in....hmmm.....can't remember.....so sad....)

There you have it. Our irrational fears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't do so well. The one I most sure about was wrong. I seem to remember now that you did say something about Ben and heights. I don't remember about Rob and commercials. I did think Matthew was the one afraid of being abandoned.

Mom L