Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Kid funnies

Today I was working on my Christmas cards, coloring away, and Matthew was asking a zillion questions regarding my activity. (He stalks me when the other two are napping.) I explained that I was coloring my card, following the sample card I had already finished. He became very indignant and said, "Mommy! You shouldn't be following that card! You should follow God!"

We have stepped up our efforts to potty train Ben and have started putting him in Pull-Ups. Matthew and I explained to him that he had to keep them dry so that the cars wouldn't disappear. He repeated the instructions and seemed very intent upon that task. About five minutes later, he looked at me with a panicked expression and said, "Mommy! I need a diaper!" I told him that he didn't b/c he had a Pull-Up on. He said, "No, Mommy! I don't want to get the cars wet!" Poor guy had to go....should have explained further on how to keep the cars dry. Right now he knows when he has to go, sits on the potty for a long time, then goes in the Pull-Up a few minutes later. He's practicing going potty b/c that is what Ben has done for everything he's ever learned since rolling over. I expected this to happen so I will be patient with him and trust that he'll be potty trained soon.

Anna popped out four teeth on Monday. No joke, that baby had nothing on her upper gums on Saturday and when Rob was playing with her on Monday, he found three teeth had popped through with one more about ready to come. That brings her total teeth count up to six. She has started eating applesauce and loves sucking on extra garlic dill pickles, but that's as far as the solids have come. She's also a full-fledged cruiser now, so we keep our couches pushed together so she has lots of cruising space.

4 comments:

Shanti said...

David loves garlic dill pickles too. He wants to eat them constantly!

Poor Ben. That' funny about the cars! Well mine were about 3 1/2 before they got potty trained! Finally, I just had to let them pee all over the place and not let them wear anything but underwear. The pull up thing never worked for them. I guess it didn't cause them discomfort--but they didn't like pee running down their legs. It took about a week, and I put them on the potty every 1/2 hr!!! Nearly drove me crazy, but it's the only thing that worked for them.

Unknown said...

I simply could not stomach letting my kids pee everywhere. And I'd rather let my kids train themselves that do the parent-training method with them. It worked well with Matthew and now Ben is practicing going to the potty. I'm really hoping that someday he'll actually DO something IN the potty :)

Shanti said...

Thankfully, it was only a few times. Otherwise they simply didn't care.
Ah. If they're not even doing something IN the potty they're probably not ready. I didn't start that until they were doing something in the potty somewhat consistently so I knew they knew what they were supposed to do...but then they just reverted back to not caring. Then it was time for the "no more pullups" if you're going to be that way thing.

Unknown said...

That's how it was with Matthew, but since Ben's habit is to practice everything we're just going to keep going.