Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Matthew

Okay, so I've had my "maternal rush of love" for Matthew recently and I can now post a gooshy blog about him. Oh my, have he and I had our run-arounds! We have pretty much the same tempermant so you can imagine how often we butt heads around here. I never realized I was such a difficult child to raise :)

However, he is my little sweetheart and often challenges me spiritually. I love the questions he comes up with about spiritual matters that can send Rob and I diving into the Scriptures for answers. He's very insightful and it's been such a blessing to disciple him now that he has made a profession of faith. I love praying with him, especially when we've had a bad day together. Just tonight we prayed that we'd stop being angry with each other. It's sweet that he's my brother in Christ as well as my son.

Rob and I discuss many issues as they arise with him. Yesterday Matthew and I were cutting out pictures in magazines for his Junior church project and I came across a very questionable picture of a woman. I ripped it out before he could see it, but he did ask me why I ripped it out. I told him that it wasn't a very nice picture of a woman. He said, "Mommy, women are very precious and there shouldn't be pictures of them in magazines like that. That's not right." I asked Rob later about that and he said he had a conversation with Matthew awhile back about that very topic. I love how Matthew keeps that information stored away and brings it back up at the appropriate times :)

He is quite the little jokester and entertainer around here. He loves to make Anna laugh although he does think that she's too drooly. He had taken two couch cushions off, one for Anna and one for himself. When she moved to his he told her, "Anna! This is not your cushion to drool on! Go back to yours!" Mommy "helped" her move back to the drooly cushion. :)

Oh, he's just a sweet little boy. It's a joy to raise him, but of course it's not without it's share of challenges. He tries my patience often but I know that God is going to do amazing things with Matthew and I look forward to what is in store in his future.

4 comments:

gpagmafulkerson said...

He is very insightful. Precious times, cherish them. And yes you could be challenging at times.

The Harrisons said...

So sweet!

Shanti said...

I can see a lot of me in Angela at times. David is...well...I really don't know who he's like! I know he has John's focus for things--and his solitary nature. Ok...so maybe he is like John. He can be quite stubborn too. :-)

Beverly said...

Your Matthew is quite a little character! Your post reminds me of my relationship with Tobin. Things are so much better now, but I wanted to toss him off the roof quite a few times when he was in the 3-4 year-old range. However, I blame Ted's genes, not mine, as Tobin is a "mini me" of my husband. I love that we can have great conversations now that don't involve me trying to explain why it's not OK to pee on the neighbors' flowers.