Friday, December 12, 2008

Bittersweet Matthew Moments

The sweet: Today, Matthew completed lesson 50 in his reading book. It was a calm, collected Mommy and Matthew that sat down to do the lesson and he had loads of fun reading the story at the end. We will now plan our trip to the Jelly Belly Warehouse sometime during Rob's Christmas "break". (Can't call it a real break b/c he has to start working on a paper for next semester.)

The bitter (besides me over the paper writing): Matthew finally gave me a hair-cutting story of my own. You know, I was really getting jealous of all you moms with stories about their kids getting ahold of scissors and butchering their hair or someone else's. Mr. Matthew got into the study while I was washing dishes and chopped off random parts of his hair, some so close to the scalp it's a wonder he didn't hurt himself. Wait...they WERE safety scissors, so it's okay... Rob tried to just cut it shorter but after wetting it down, we realzied how patchy it was and he has a long buzz cut: almost a buzz, but still with a bit of length. Anna now has longer hair than Matthew, and that's saying something. Poor guy wouldn't even look at himself in the mirror and when he accidently saw his reflection, he covered his eyes. He quickly got used to it and claims he wants it this way forever, but Mommy is putting her foot down. I do not like buzz cuts on little boys (or any size boys, for that matter.) Yes, I realize my husband is bald, but that's nature not razor. I almost cried today but I held it in for Matthew's sake. My one consolation is that his hair grows rapidly and it should look normal in a month or less. If Ben ever did this, it would take a year to grow back. Poor guy didn't have much hair to speak of until he was 18-months old.

7 comments:

gpagmafulkerson said...

First congratulations to Matthew and Mommy for completing 50 lessons! And to the hair , a famous saying from grandma(me), OH MY GOODNESS! His punishment is to look in the mirror, right?

Megan R. said...

I had to patch up Evan's hair last night. It had been a week and a half since he cut his hair, so I knew that if I buzzed it down a little shorter than I like, it'd probably mask his trim job, and it did. And hopefully it'll have grown back a bit before Christmas. I dislike cowlicks and bedhead on little boys, so keeping it short keeps it looking neat at least.

I didn't want to give Evan a buzz cut hairstyle originally (I'm not all that fond of them on little boys either), but he HATES getting his hair cut (okay, he hasn't cried and screamed for the last two, but this is a new development), and I don't have the $$ to take him to the fancy kiddie hair place in the mall every month and let them work their magic with scissors while he watches a video.

The Harrisons said...

Yay Matthew...Oh NO Matthew!!!!

So sad :( I am not a fan of the buzz cut either! Poor little guy and poor mommy!

Unknown said...

Rob bought a nice set of trimmers several years ago and he cuts the boys' hair normally. He used to cut hair for the guys in his dorm as well, so we've never spent money to give the boys haircuts. In fact, he cuts mine, too, but that's because he likes it long and is afraid someone else will chop it off. Hmmm...seems like we're kind of hair-crazy around here. Rob and I prefer him with a goatee which he can't have during the school year. (grumble)

Megan R. said...

John cuts his own--but he wears a buzz cut. He has goofy cowlicks if he grows it out much. When I first met him, it stuck out all over the place. He says it only looks nice if he wears is long and perms it. Um, no. LOL He's almost entirely silver-gray now, and I really don't know how I'd like a long-haired, curly-haired hubby.

I should look into how to do normal hair cuts with our clippers.

John's hands shake too much for him to cut mine. He tried once, but since it's basically straight, it was obvious that it wasn't even. (It's really thick, so you have to make about four passes, letting down a little more hair each time, to cut it all.)

Unknown said...

My brother also looks better with a buzz, or should I say, completely bald. Rob has periodically toyed with the idea of completely shaving his head since he's bald in the middle but he's kind of waiting until he can have the goatee permanently. He's starting to lose it in the back as well. I thought I had trimmed him too much and it was taking forever to grow back, then I realized that the hair loss was continuing. :)

Megan R. said...

We have a few mostly-bald friends who shave their heads. I personally would hate the maintenance factor, but the one guy swears it's a breeze, just part of his morning routine.