Saturday, December 20, 2008

Finally...a break??

Rob finished his finals and passed all of his classes, including the one that was for grad credit. He did well and he's glad to have just one semester ahead of him before graduation. He will be starting a paper over Christmas break, but he's taking the first week off to recoop. The Custom Shoppe is closed as well, so he really will have a big break. We were going to leave for Illinois on Wednesday, but it looks like the weather won't cooperate so we're leaving earlier on Monday. Anna sees her pediatrician that day so we'll take off after her appointment. It will be nice to relax in a different place.

It's snowing right now. We got another foot on Friday and we may have lost the top half-inch due to wind so we need more. I've got some great pictures of the boys climbing the mounds that mark the entrance to the driveway. Matthew lost his boot in the snow today and was determined to keep on playing without it, but Rob convinced him to find it. Then he promptly came indoors and I wrapped him in a goose-down comforter. Ben stayed out longer for once and had a ball with Daddy.

We're planning to open gifts with the kids either tomorrow or Monday morning. It's highly possible church will be cancelled since the wind chill tomorrow should be around 30 below. The children's Christmas program is during Sunday school so that would be too bad if it was, but better to be safe than a popsicle. If it's cancelled, we'll do gifts tomorrow. Each child gets one present (courtesy of a Discovery Toys party I had in June) and then stocking stuffers. The boys' have candy, but I'm rather proud of Anna's. I got her a pink Hot Wheels car. She loves chewing on the boys' cars so I found her one of her own. Rob and I just get each other stocking stuffers although we used to buy each other all kinds of presents back in the DINK days (that's double-income-no-kids). The one gift I'm most proud of purchasing for Rob was a huge box full of bags of different kinds of chips. I went to oodles of grocery stores and specialty stores and bought up every funky kind of chip I could find. It's also the only gift that ever truly surprised him...he's one of THOSE people, you know, the kind that can look at a box and tell you exactly what's in it.

Here's my braindead Christmas moment that I'll close with: Since November, I have been working on making 40-plus Christmas cards to send/give to friends and family. I had a stack of them still sitting on my desk this morning and I looked at it and thought to myself, "You know, I really ought to mail these out!" So I braved the post office and bought stamps today. If your card is late, that's why!

Merry Christmas!!

1 comment:

The Harrisons said...

I always like to say "better safe than a popsicle!"

Jonathan is one of those people who can look at a gift and tell what it is too...soo annoying! I hid his gifts this year and wasn't planning to put them out till Christmas morning - but he found them this morning while looking for socks! Can't win!