Sunday, September 6, 2009

Making a Grand Entrance, Penni-style

Oh my. I'm beginning to think the reason for my existence is to make other people laugh. Today's incident in Sunday School may have clinched that belief.

Rob and I were asked to take Ben and Anna into the college class as a way to help recruit the new college students for nursery work. They do this every year and the kids hold (or chew on) signs and look cute. We dropped them off in the nursery when we were done and headed to our Sunday school class. When we arrived, it appeared that the only empty seats were in the front. Since our teacher was giving announcements, we quietly and discreetly walked around the room to the supposedly empty seats. We asked if they were indeed empty, and were told they were not. So, we quietly and discreetly left the room, quietly and discreetly talking about whether we wanted to volunteer in the nursery or go to another class.

Then a friend of ours dashed out of the room with two chairs, followed by the teacher who both loudly proclaimed that they could make room. Friend Adam brought the chairs outside and Teacher Ron said we could acutally sit IN the room (yuk, yuk.) We told Adam, quietly and discreetly, to just leave the chairs in the back. Both he and Ron said they'd find room and a few people shifted over for us. By that point in time, everyone was watching what was happening and I had a choice: Continue pretending we were quiet and discreet or embrace the moment. Being the loud, dramatic person that I am, I opted for the latter and said, "Well, I just like to make a spectacle of myself as I enter class!" Laughter ensued, Teacher Ron jokingly introduced me, I waved and sat down. Rob, quiet through all of this ruckus, sat down and probably went to his happy place.

I'm thankful I can continue to provide the world with one more reason to laugh :)

1 comment:

Shanti said...

hahahahaha!

Well, I promptly entered my SS class with Daniel, sat down, he immediately started screaming, and I got back up and left. Oh, and I did sit right down next to the Pastor, and then noticed John was sitting right on the other side of him. couldn't see him at first...