Sunday, April 25, 2010

Weekend Visit

This past weekend, my parents came for a visit. We hadn't seem them since Christmas, so all of us were anticipating the fun times ahead. Mom and Dad arrived right around lunchtime on Friday. Rob had the day off (and has Monday off due to low orders) so he got to join us. My parents treated us all to lunch at McDonald's. The kids had a ball in the playground, although the boys had a little too much fun with Anna. She's just big enough to go into the main part, so Matthew tried to get her to go down the tunnel slide. She was hesitant, so Ben yelled, "Just push her!" Matthew did and Anna came on down, then went on her merry way and tried to avoid the slide :)

That afternoon, we headed to Ebert's greenhouse. My parents bought some flowers and the kids played in the playground area. Anna is just big enough to really enjoy all of the playhouses. Dad was with her in one of them and when he tried to leave, she yelled, "Grandpa, you get back in here!"

We had a make-your-own pizza night, put the kids to bed, and enjoyed a new dessert I made. Unfortunately, Rob accidently left it out overnight and it had to be pitched. Too bad...but I think I'll make another one next weekend. It rained quite a bit the next day and Matthew's soccer game was cancelled.

My parents wanted to do something special, so they had one-on-one time with all of us. They took the boys out separately on Friday. Rob and Dad went out for coffee Saturday morning and then went on a tour of the Custom Shoppe. Mom and I made cookies and played games with the kids. After lunch, Mom and I went for coffee then shopped at JoAnn.

And then the lovely visit with my folks took a turn on the ugly side. My stomach felt upset after coffee, so I took myself upstairs to lay down. Turns out, I caught the stomach bug that Ben and Anna had. I spent the rest of the evening upstairs while Rob and Mom made a Chinese dinner. She played sous chef, usually my job, and Rob said she did a good job. The smells didn't help my situation much, but I did have some leftovers today.

And right before bedtime, Anna had a repeat performance of the "sickies". Rob slept on the floor in the kids room and our room intermittenly. I let him back on the bed once I was done getting sick around 3am. Anna was sluggish this morning, but acting fine when my parents left. They were gone shortly after breakfast, hoping to get home before anything hit them. So far, they are both feeling fine.

I do believe this is the third time that one or both of them has visited and somebody came down with a stomach bug. At least we got some good time in on the first two days. And hopefully we'll have no incidents next time!

No comments: