Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Birthday Weekend at the Fulkersons


This is a picture of my birthday cake, made by my favorite sister, Mandy. I gave her free reign on the cake idea...all I wanted was the phrase "Cake is Awesome" somewhere on the cake. And I still have most of the head left if anyone's hungry...

Saturday night we all met up at my parent's house and had a nice dinner together. The kids played and then went to bed without a whole lot of fuss. Sunday morning we were up and ready to go to church after a yummy big breakfast. My poor dad came down with something and didn't feel too good while we were there, but we enjoyed what company we got from him :)

All three of the kids went easily and happily into their respective Sunday school classes, which is rare. Anna usually cries and Matthew usually wants to stay with us, but they did great this time. I'm glad they did go because the sermon topic was "What Would Jesus say to a Wiccan?" Very interesting and well-done sermon, but I think it might have scared Matthew a little bit. If you're interested in hearing the sermon, send me an email and I'll send you a link to the church's website.

Afterwards, we went back home and had meatloaf. I never understood when kids said they hated meatloaf when I was growing up. Obviously they have never had my mom's! It has a cheese layer in the middle and is super-yummy. My sister and her family joined us for lunch and then we spent the afternoon eating cake, playing, and visiting. The kids had a snack around 4pm, then we got them ready for trick-or-treating. Anna wore an authentic Chinese dress and we dressed her up as a Chinese princess. Ben was a fireman and poor Matthew was King Boo, a.k.a. a plain ghost. I didn't do a very good job on the costume and the poor kid kept tripping everywhere. We renamed our venture "Trip or treat" because all five the kids tripped! The four older ones tripped while going house to house and my little nephew Zach tripped coming into Grandma's afterwards. Poor guy had a big bump on his head to prove it!

The kids came home with buckets full of candy and we had a yummy pizza supper. Rob and my brother-in-law Chris made pizzas with the intent of seeing who's was best, but it was hard to decide. Mandy's family took off not too long afterwards and we put three tired kids to bed.

Ben woke up in the middle of the night having gotten sick on his bed. We think he just overate on Sunday. Poor Matthew, who was sharing his bed, jumped into mine. He was brave enough to go back to bed with Ben once everything was cleaned up and the sheets were changed. Ben woke up feeling perfectly fine the next day.

We took off Monday morning and had a decent ride home. Rob and I were so full from eating so much that we barely ate a thing before lunch. We got home and hit the ground running, doing some unpacking and grocery shopping. Little Anna was all grandma-ed out and fell asleep at 6pm that night. We had a great visit all around!

1 comment:

Shanti said...

Cool cake! Sounds like you had one awesome birthday!!