Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Queen

Yup, you guessed it from the title, I'm going to talk about myself. I would have Rob do this post, as he offered to, but he's busy with a class right now and when the class ends he still has his Sunday school class to prepare for and then I think he'd like to sleep through the month of August. So I'll do it myself. Besides, don't we all love to talk about ourselves???

I was born at a very young age....okay, that's too old, but I am chuckling to myself. And that's one of the biggest things about me--I like to laugh. Someone once told me that I don't take life seriously and I really thought that was a problem. Now, 16 years later, I realize that laughing through life is better than taking everything seriously. I grew up with a family of jokesters and wouldn't have it any other way. We always had to warn our friends before they came over about our dad. Dad's a terrific guy, but he does dish out the digs. We always tell people to give it right back to him and you'll fit in fine. And that's me. I use my humor to cover for my shyness around strangers, to get children to talk to me, and to have a good time. I love life and I'd rather spend it laughing than crying. I was so amazed when I started teaching that my students did not find the same things funny that I did. Someone gets hurt and instead of babying them, I made light of the situation. Other students would say, "Mrs. Litwiller! That's mean!" It dawned on me that not every person is equipped with a sense of humor. People that aren't funny do have a purpose -- like writing instructions for hair dryers and being made fun of by me. I just choose not to be one of them :)

I'm not going to write about my childhood because then I'll get into trouble with my parents and sibs, but I'll skip ahead to college. I graduated from Cedarville College (now University) in 1997 with a degree in Social Science and was ready to take on the world as a single gal. I met Rob the day after graduation, got engaged two months later, and was married two years later. We taught in California for several years (me nine) and I did enjoy it. I have to admit, however, that I was not cut out for teaching. Oh, I did my job and I did it well, but as I reflect upon my teaching career I realized that the times I did my "job" the best was when I wasn't doing my job at all. I love just talking to the students and getting involved in their lives. I was an unorthodox teacher and love doing things outside of the box. I genuinely loved my students, but I'd much rather have counseled them that taught them. I do love my subject, but I don't think I'll go into a traditional classroom again. I do plan to homeschool my children (as schools are set up for boys to fail) so I will teach again, and I'm exicted about training my two little guys.

Our children came along while I was still a teacher and I greatly regret continuing my career while they were babies. Matthew was in daycare for two years, and while he was only three doors down from me and in excellent hands, it just wasn't me. I had to learn to let a lot of things go about their training and had some "make-up" work to do with discipline, but that's okay. Things are better now, but I do wish I had given up teaching two years earlier. Oh well, can't go back in time, so I'm just thankful I can be with them now.

I've learned much about myself as I've become a stay-at-home mom. Maybe that's how I'll end my post: things I've learned about myself. Poor Rob, he didn't get a "top ten"

1. I can get madder than a hornet at the drop of a hat over the dumbest little things.

2. I'm addicted to naps. (Not mine--the kids!)

3. I'm very easy going with the boys regarding their play because I want them to be boys. (For example--Matthew is allowed to run ahead on walks because he knows when to stop, I let him throw rocks in the river, and both boys are allowed to climb up the slides when the park isn't busy! What a rotten mommy!)

4. I can tune out even the most incessant of screams.

5. Screams go through me, but whining stops me in my tracks.

6. I know the theme songs to Bob the Builder, Spongebob, and Veggie Tales (okay, so I knew that last one from college!)

7. I'm more apt to listen to kids music when I'm alone.

8. I really can make it through a day without seeing my kids. (When I worked, I was addicted to them!)

9. I'll confess: Sometimes I drag us to church on Wednesdays just because there is a nursery.

10. No matter how rough the day was, I can still look at my sleeping angels at night and love them with all of my heart.

And that's me!

2 comments:

Shanti said...

hehe! Loved the post again. Yeah...I figured out early in life that I'd rather laugh than cry over things. One thing that almost destroyed my sense of humor was having kids though. I can see you going "huh?????" I have this other unfortunate side to me that is a worry-wart by nature and I didn't totally know this side of myself until my kids were born. After much prayer and trials I think I'm getting the hang of it and can get to my ol' good humored self. :-)

hartgirlies said...

You crack me up again! I too laughed at " I was born at a young age...". I guess that shows you that we have the same ridiculous sense of humor.
I too feel your pain of the working-outside-the-home mother. I am also thankful that I am with my kids now. They bring me so much joy and are my favorite little people!