Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Anna Update

Oh, wow, so much to update on Miss Anna! She really is the little princess around here. She has her brothers eating out of her hand much of the time and is starting to believe that the whole world revolves around her. Now, don't get me wrong, she's not a brat, just realizing that she has options. She's so cute, though, and so good most of the time that it's hard to discipline her but we are succeeding in that area. All I usually have to do is sign "no" and have her sign it back to get her to obey. When she does exhibit her will I stand a little firmer and she backs down most of the time.

She's very, very, very times infinity active. She is just like Matthew was at that age. Her climbing skills are coming along nicely, as proven each time we go to the playground. She thinks she's bigger than she is, no thanks to her big brothers. We took her to the Aquatic Center and after getting her bearings, she repeatedly attempted to get to the small slides. She's too buoyant to stand for long in the water, so she kept falling and getting a snout full of pool water. I don't think I'll take her again until next summer...hopefully she's a little more muscley and less fatty :)

She has surprised me with her fine motor skills and other similar abilities. She'll often pop out her pacifier and slip the hook onto one finger so she can eat or drink something. She stacks up her stacking cups by herself, has figured out how to build with Legos, and is able to do all kinds of things with her chubby fingers that the boys weren't doing until after their second birthdays. I don't know if it's a girl thing or not, but that's what I'm assuming.

Verbally, she's doing well. She tries to say everything we ask her to, but her best words are: "Muk" (milk), "Jew" (juice), "Mommy" "Daddy" "Ma-mew" (Matthew) "Ben" "Na-na" (Anna), "Pa-Pa" (Grandpa), "cracker" "eggie" "chicken" "doggie" "woof-woof" "nie-nie" and I'm probably forgetting a bunch of others. She does say "please" and "thank you" most of the time, some without prompting. Politeness is important to us. I was talking to my brother one day and I said, "My kids might not be the best behaved, but at least they're polite." He mimicked, "May I please break your expensive vase?"

Her eating habits have improved, although the only veggie she'll eat is broccoli and the only fruits are bananas and watermelon. She still loves meat and cheese best, but she's added potatoes and noodles to that favs list. She usually eats two good meals a day and some snacks.

And she's just such a little dolly. I love cuddling her and hearing her try to sing "Jesus Loves Me." Her favorite games are peek-a-boo and patty-cake. She loves running to Daddy when he comes home and is a delightful baby overall.