Friday, August 21, 2009

The Haps

We've had a rather eventful week and I thought I'd reflect upon it for a bit in blog form. I had my first of two deep cleaning appointments for my teeth on Wednesday. At my new patient visit, my hygenist discovered that I have peridontal disease. It's probably b/c I haven't seen a dentist for cleanings in ages combined with three rounds of gestational diabetes and pregnancy in general. She cleaned half of my mouth at the last visit and will do the rest on Monday. It's weird looking at my mouth because I can see a real difference between the two sides. I have a tooth-cleaning regimin twice a day: brush with toothpaste, brush with mouthwash, floss, rinse with mouthwash. It takes awhile, but I'm more than happy to do it if I can avoid any more appointments like these! I love my hygenist, but she gives shots very....slowly....and holds the needle....in my mouth....for...ev....er..... She says it maximizes the numbing. I think it just maximizes my prayer life. :)

Anyway, the experience has left me very woozy since. I'm feeling better today, but I still don't trust myself to drive. So, we all had to troop out the door for the weekly massive grocery shopping trip. The boys were not very well-behaved and Anna was fussy. I had Rob drop us off at the last store and take the boys with him to unload groceries. Anna screamed through most of the store, pausing only to say "hi" to people we passed. Faker.

Rob had a 24-hour week this week, so he's been home the past two days. We've gotten quite a bit of the study cleaned up. I'm organizing it for maximum usage for the entire family. I tackle my desk tomorrow. Rob is building yet another shelf for us, this one for the kids' books and art supplies.

Anna has expanded her vocabulary to include essential words: "tookie" "so-da" "canny" "ice ceam" and other goodies. She cracked me up tonight as we came home from grocery shopping. We bought some Diet Coke and she handed me her sippy cup and said, "Soda!" I have Daddy to thank for that one, who ONE TIME put a tad bit of root beer in her sippy....

I just put in my order today for the final books for kindergarten. We're starting on August 31st, the same week Rob starts seminary. We have finished the first half of Sonlight's Core 4/5 and will continue with it until we're done. I'm adding to that Explode the Code books 2 and 3 to continue teaching him phonics and settled on Miquon Math for this year. I had looked at Saxon K at Maranatha's library (Praise the Lord for their good-sized cirriculum section!) and I liked it, but it is a very expensive program. I also wasn't sure if it would be too easy for him. We have read about Miquon in multiple catalogues and numerous sites and it looks to be pretty good....and very inexpensive. We might switch over to Saxon after he finishes the Miquon series in a few years. Rob used to teach out of Saxon and understands it pretty well. We'd just find a different program for upper-level math. I don't think Rob will ever forget being laughed at by fellow AP Calculus teachers at an AP conference for using Saxon Calculus. He ended up teaching his class from three different texts that year and they all passed the AP exam...but I digress.

And someday I will get around to a Matthew update, but for right now, I'm going to go watch my husband try to beat some Mario levels. For those into Mario Galaxy, I have beat the game as Mario and have 75 stars at Luigi. Woot-woot!!!

No comments: