Monday, August 10, 2009

Ben Update

I thought I might post some updates on the kids since we're nearing the "start" of another school year. I have start in quotes b/c we schooled through the summer. August 31st will be Matthew's first official day of kindergarten and Ben's of preschool. Promotion Sunday in Sunday school is the day before and Rob starts school that week, so it seems like a good date for our change of grade.

Anyway, this post is supposed to be all about Ben. I'm starting with him first because I usually start with one of the other two and Ben's always in the middle. He certainly ACTS like a middle child, exerting his will and trying to make a name for himself in the family. He is a head strong little guy, but we are seeing some improvement with him. We have had to be very consistent in discipline and corrections and, little by little, we're seeing him come around.

Ben can be a very delightful child, especially when he is with his daddy. Rob and I finally figured something out: Ben is most like me and Matthew is most like Rob. It would then make sense that Rob and Ben click more and Matthew and I click more. (Anna currently has her parent-of-the-moment and no particular favorite.) We make sure that we spend ample time alone with the opposite child, but when we have to split up somewhere, that's how the division happens. (Anna is usually with me.) Ben certainly has my temper and frustration level. He also likes to be by himself more than Matthew does. Ben often will grab a toy or manipulative off their game shelf and occupy himself for a long time.

In the past few months, Ben has joined Matthew and I for school time on a more consistent basis. He'll even sit still while Matthew does his workbooks. He loves listening to stories and has his own little pre-school book to work on. I have noticed that his fine motor skills are more developed than Matthew's at this age, but he has no interest in drawing or coloring yet. He still thinks every letter and number is "B" but he can count well. He surprised me the other day in the kitchen when I asked him to get out the forks. He grabbed four and I told him I already had one. I asked him how many he needed then. Without hesitating, he said, "Three." He seems to like numbers and counting more than letters right now.

Ben is my outdoor guy. He'll cry whenever he has to come inside and always has dirt caked on him after playtime. I really think that the dirt finds Ben...kind of like Pigpen from the Peanuts comic strip. I've always thought him to be more of a chicken than Matthew, but he's turning out more fearless. He will walk on his tiptoes as far as he can at the pool until the water is too high for him and loves having me take him in the deeper end. He is not afraid of bugs and even rid Grandpa's deck of Japanese Beetles by throwing them. He's all boy for sure.

Ben is still my cuddle buddy. He's on my lap at least once a day. His laugh is infectious. Rob will often grab him and tickle him just to hear the laugh! I love my little Ben-Ben!

1 comment:

Megan R. said...

Interesting that you click more with your "opposite" child. It's the opposite here: I click more with the child who is most like me and am utterly drained by the child who is most like her daddy. ;-)

And Evan has been doing that addition/subtraction in-the-head math stuff lately, too. I am constantly amazed. Probably because Sela was much more physically and athletically inclined as a 3-year-old, whereas her little brother is more academically and mechanically minded.