Monday, May 24, 2010

The Homeschool Convention

Last Thursday and Friday, Rob and I had a chance to get away and go to a homeschool convention in Oconomowoc. (A-con-a-ma-wok) It was held at the resort where Rob and I spent our 10th anniversary, so we had lots of warm, fuzzy memories as we pulled into the place. We decided to take Matthew with us on the first day, as they had art classes he was able to take. He, of course, balked at the idea after finding out that Grandpa and Grandma Litwiller were coming to watch the younger siblings. We did assure him that he'd get to spend PLENTY of time with them on Thursday evening and Friday.

My main goals were as follows: peruse and decide upon a math program for both boys, find a few books cheaper, and get encouraged/challenged by the keynote speakers. Who were the keynote speakers? Steve and Teri Maxwell, authers of "Managers of Their Homes," "Managers of Their Chores", and "Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit" among other titles. I knew that I needed much help in organzing my home, dealing with the children, and keeping myself sane. Rob planned to attend as many science seminars as he could fit in and take me on a date. I think he was a bit more relaxed than I :)

Our first morning, I found a doozy of a workshop. This family leading it had 15 kids, drove a bus, all the women were in skirts and head coverings, and they had some REAL zany ideas. Pretty much what the world pictures when they think "homeschooling." I did glean some gems and hoped the rest of the conference would be better.

I didn't really attend any more workshops that day, but I did spend a lot of time in the vendor hall looking at math programs. After much deliberation, we settled on Math-U-See. We were given a demo DVD from the vendor and watched it at home Thursday night. Rob and I (and my mother-in-law) were very much impressed by it. I've heard lots of good things about it, but I had to see it for myself. We ordered the Primer for Ben and the Alpha set for Matthew for next fall. Shipping was free by ordering it there, so bonus :)

I also found some workbooks that I needed for phonics next year and Rob bought some science materials. The next day, I went to two workshops with Teri Maxwell and was so encouraged and challenged to do a better job. I bought several of her materials and am reading the scheduling book, just itching to improve our use of time around here. I also bought the "If-Then" chart, which they don't make, but do sell. It had a list on one side of discretions (like teasing, disobedience, etc.), a Bible verse that deals with the topic, then a blank column to write in the consequence. We have already implemented it and today ran beautifully. If the boys or Anna did something wrong, we read the verse dealing with it together and administered the correction. Rob and I prayed over it before selecting the corrections and God led us to the right ones. I don't lose my temper and come up with something zany off the cuff and they know exactly what is expected of them. Who knew it could be so simple to change some of their behaviors?

Rob went to Steve Maxwell's seminar on family Bible time and was encouraged by it, even if some of the ways they live out their faith does not necessarily match with us. Let's just say I didn't know there were people out there MORE conservative than the people we hang out with :)

We did get out on a date to Chili's between sessions and it was a nice, relaxing time for us.

While the "cats" were away, the "mice" played nicely at home. Ben and Anna had one of their favorite sitters Thursday morning before the grandparents arrived. Anna went down no problem for naptime. On Friday, the kids were reasonably spoiled with a snack trip to McDonald's, the library, and had a leisurly, quiet afternoon.

All in all, it was a great conference. I'm so thankful that we went and were able to be refreshed as homeschooling parents.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Hooray! So glad you had a good time. And I had to comment that my friend Heather, who flew from Las Vegas with her husband so they could attend the homeschool convention with us here in Ohio, told me that she had always thought the jumper-wearing, long-haired mom with a gazillion kids, etc. was a made-up stereotype...until she came to Ohio and actually SAW those kinds of homeschooling families!! Yup, it takes all kinds! I love the Maxwells, but even though I agree with and respect them in so many ways, there are some issues that are just not where God is calling us!