Saturday, May 15, 2010

Stupid Blog Post

Miss Anna has somehow, somewhere picked up a new habit that makes her sound like she's two going on 14. It's probably from her brothers, but I hate to blame them for everything. Unfortunately, there's no unruly neighbor kid to blame it on, so they are the culprits. Let me tell the stories to illustrate the new habit (that must and will be broken.)

The other day, Anna wanted to watch Max and Ruby (an adorable cartoon about two little bunnies based on an equally adorable series of children's books.) Since it was close to her naptime, I told her no and the boys and I set up Lego Star Wars for the Wii. She wasn't too happy, so she started throwing a fit. I usually ignore fits (since a tantrum really needs an audience to be most effective) and began to play. Before I knew it, she was quiet, but mumbling to herself while she played with Legos. What was she mumbling? "Stupid Lego Star Wars. Stupid Jedi." Hmmm....

Three days ago, I put her down for a nap. She wasn't too happy about it, so after I tucked her in, she untucked herself and sat on the edge of the bed. As I locked the gate to the stairs, she was swinging her feet, pouting, and saying, "Stupid nap."

And this morning, we were at Matthew's last soccer game. She wasn't happy about being stuck in her stroller so she said, "Stupid soccer game."

Methinks the wee one has a bit of an attitude problem. Now, at her age, I suppose most children would just whine and fuss. Being more verbal, she can adequately express her feelings. I think, however, it's time to direct her to a better use of those verbal skills. I did have a little chat with her and informed her that we don't call things "stupid." She's usually pretty good about obeying the first time, so we'll see.

In the meantime, it's going to be real hard not to laugh!!

1 comment:

Megan R said...

That was Evan's favorite word there for a while. We didn't realize how often we adults referred to things as "stupid" (in conversations with other adults) until we started reminding Evan not to use the word.