Saturday, September 4, 2010

One week down, 35 to go....

We had kind of a rocky start to our first week of school. Matthew was uncooperative, Ben's reading lessons were frustrating, and the kids took turns being distracted during their sibling's lessons. Oh, and Anna is completely rejecting using the potty. Mommy wasn't feeling well (probably mental and connected to the above events) and very discouraged. So what do we do?

Well, we're regrouping. We have an "if-then" chart for corrections and we plan to reevaluate it and consistently enforce it. Ben and I have decided to break down his reading lessons and do half each day instead of a whole one. I am coming up with better strategies to keep the non-schooled children occupied during the other one's schooltime. I'm going to tweak the schedule (again) to move Anna's reading time with Mommy to the morning to see if she just needs some attention. In other words, we're going to keep working on these issues until we get it right. I will admit I was ready to enroll them in school by the end of the week, but Rob was very encouraging and helped me see the benefits of homeschooling (and seeing the lack of funds for school in the checkbook didn't hurt either, lol!!)

I'm not really ready to give up. I really do want to homeschool the kids...it was just a rough start. I'm hoping that as we continue to work on our schedule, we'll just fall into a good routine.

Rob had Friday off this week, so we did school more condensed and then did some shopping. The boys only needed belts and Ben a winter coat, but it turned out that Anna has MANY needs for the winter. Her most pressing need was pants, as she was down to only one pair of stretch pants. We had some clothing set aside for her, but some if it must have seen one too many kids, because it still smelled like old clothes after washing them. I had to pitch some of them, but that's okay. She has enough for right now. We got her a couple more pair of pants at Kohls and I'm planning to hit the all-city garage sales in two weeks to hopefully finish her list.

Rob took the boys to a Maranatha football game this afternoon. They were pretty excited to go, but it didn't go so well. They couldn't see the whole field and Matthew whined for snacks non-stop. They did like it some, but I don't know if they'll go back anytime soon. I think they enjoyed the Daddy-time more than anything else. Anna and I took a nap while they were gone.

It looks like Rob is going to have four-day weeks until Thanksgiving. We're praying that the orders pick up so he works full weeks or that my stamping takes off. So far I haven't had any large workshops, but I do have two more this month. We'll see what happens.

Right now, I have a toddler in cuddly jammies next to me on the couch playing with her little people. She's so cute :) I think I'll go snuggle with her now.

No comments: