Sunday, September 5, 2010

Promotion Sunday

Today was the designated day for the kids to move up classes in Sunday school and junior church. Matthew, our child that fears change, was NOT happy about it. At. all. I have completely given up on trying to build up excitement for him, because no matter how "cool" I make something sound, he still fears it. Now I just say, "Well, try it once, and if you don't like it we'll figure something out." He was told he had no choice on Sunday school b/c I'm NOT bringing him into an adult class with me, but I have no problem sitting him in the morning service with us. He agreed to try junior church, and of course, he loved it. It helped that the teenagers (and youth pastor) are running it this month, so he knew a few of the teens in there. He was hesitant about moving from Tiny Trackers to Scripture Spies on Wednesday night until we found out who he teacher was. I think for him, as long as he knows the adult in charge, he's okay. Oh, and he loves his new Sunday school class as well.

Ben did not move up classes b/c he already moved up to the four-year-old class back in March. Several of his friends, who have started K-5, moved out this morning, so the class thinned out a bit. All of the preschool and kindergarteners are together for their junior church, so as Ben put it, "The same old people came back into my class later." And we were told his behavior was perfect. We were wondering if having his brother in there was causing a few behavior problems, and were were right.

Miss Anna is still in her two-year-old class, which is also the three-year-old class, so no moving up for her. But she did get a little adventure this morning. Every year when the college students come back, they take a Sunday school class to go over the various ministries the students can get involved in. When the nursery ministry takes it's turn, we take in a few little "helpers" to show off. Anna was one of those. I had told her that she would go with Mommy to the college class. She was very serious about going with me, so serious that when I shot off to take the boys to their classes, she cried and told Daddy she HAD to go with Mommy! I came back to a pouty little girl sitting on Daddy's knee. She got her little sign (all of the kids had cute signs that read "Come play with me" and "Aren't I cute?") and we went off with the other wee ones. And then we waited. Usually, the nursery goes first, but they did us third, so the kids were pretty wiggly by the time they went up front. But they were cute, and that's all that matters.

Rob and I then tried to go to our class, but there were no seats, so we went back to the college class and listened to the remaining ministry presentations. We did find out there is a martial arts class and it sounds like both boys can take it, so we'll check it out. Maybe they can use any skills they acquire to roundhouse-kick some bushes down in the backyard. :)

No comments: