Friday, June 17, 2011

VBS #1, Swimming, and Tooth Aches


We have had a rather busy week and while all of it was fun, I'm rather glad that schedule is over! I have a brand new appreciation for "soccer moms" and the amount of time they spend driving around their kids. I must say that one week was enough for me...can't imagine keeping up that pace through an entire school year!!

The above picture is of the kids waiting for their ride to VBS. They were invited to attend VBS at a church in Fort Atkinson and we agreed to let the boys go. Since it's a half hour drive and she's only three, Anna did not go with them. The boys had a marvelous time and really enjoyed getting to know some new kids as well as strengthen friendships with the kids that invited them and a few other friends they knew there. After one day of the preschool class, Ben was moved up to the 1st and 2nd grade class. My friend who's kids invited the boys thought he'd do better in the older group and he did. Rob and I went to the closing program and picnic lunch today and got to see what a fun program the church put on. It's a much smaller church than ours (63 kids was their highest day...we bring more than that on our buses) so they had a chance to see a different type of church. I'm so thankful they got a chance to go!

Now, here's where the fun part came in: The boys had swim lessons at 1pm each day but Friday. VBS ended at noon. That meant I had to pick them up each day, have lunch ready for them in the car, get them changed real quick, and head off to swim lessons. In spite of the distance and construction on the main highway, we made it every day with time to spare. I was rather tired of packing lunches by the end of the week (again...kudos to you moms that do that every day for school!) and a little sore from driving, but none the worse for the wear.

And swim lessons were very interesting. Rob and I feel very strongly that swimming is a vital skill each person should learn, so we enrolled them in the park and rec dept swim lessons. I could teach them myself, but I'm already their academic teacher so we thought an outside teacher would be better. And I must say that I am VERY impressed with the swim teachers in our town. The boys are in Level One lessons, but I wish we had put them in Aquakids when they were four. Rob and I have both observed that class during the boys' lessons and are impressed with how they acclimate the little ones to the pool. Anna will be enrolled in that class next year.

That being said, the boys themselves were a little timid on their first day. Matthew panicked at the thought of going further than the wall and Ben wasn't much better. I realized I had to act fast or our money would be wasted. So, each day I have had a goal for them to achieve and a treat if they earned it. I've seen all kinds of improvement over four short days. They have one week left, so we'll see how it goes. I told them how awful I was during my lessons and how much better than me they are doing already. They felt pretty good after that, knowing that Mommy is a great swimmer and was a lifeguard. There's hope!

So now for Miss Anna: I knew I needed a few activities planned to help distract her while the boys were gone in the mornings. She went along for a few chiropractic appointments, had a playdate with a friend, went with Rob and I to a chocolate shop tour (part of the library reading program), saw animals at a library program, played at McDonald's, went out for breakfast with Mom and Dad, and got the TV all to herself. I'd say she was pretty spoiled by the end of the week! She's excited to attend our church's VBS in a week and was very interested in everything the boys did in the mornings.

On Tuesday of this week, I started having some severe tooth pain. I've had problems with one tooth in particular for awhile, but was told I have an exposed root on that tooth, so I didn't think much of it. By Thursday, I was in so much pain I could barely function (and that day Rob worked at Bass, so I solo parented much of the day...go figure.) I called the dentist, got in for a 3pm appointment, and found out I have a dying nerve in that tooth. They started to prep for a root canal, but since it was 3:30 by that point and Rob had to work at 4pm, I couldn't stay. They gave me a prescription for pain meds and I will go in for the root canal on Monday afternoon. A friend of mine will watch the kids since Rob will already be at work. The pain meds finally kicked in this afternoon, so please pray that I do not develop a tolerance to them and that I make it through until Monday. On a pain scale, it was a 9.5. Thankfully, Rob does not work all weekend and does not work until 4pm on Monday, so I have him around for help if the pain gets worse.

And that's been our week! Tomorrow we're going to the Watertown Dairy Breakfast on a farm and Ben especially is excited about the all-you-can-eat breakfast. He's a BIG breakfast eater, so this is right up his alley!!

1 comment:

Beverly said...

I'm with you on teaching our kids certain skills...I COULD teach our kids piano, but it is far better (I think) that Mrs. Davenport comes to our house to do that once a week! Our kids are also supposed to start swim lessons tomorrow; just waiting for some more info from the pool manager.

Hope you're feeling better by now!!