Sunday, May 4, 2008

Back to Work

I've officially gone back to work. My nursery maternity leave is over and today I resumed my full nursery duties. I greet the children on Sunday nights and work the desk first Sunday night of the month. I really missed it. It's so much fun to see all of those little faces and watch them growing. I never saw myself as enjoying little kids and babies so much, but I do.

The nursery ministry is more than just babysitting kids. It really is a ministry to the church members. Not only do we enable the parents to be involved in other ministries and to sit in church uninterrupted, but we are often the first people to interact with visitors. I am not the type of person to go talk to a vistor, but I'll talk to their child and reassure the parents about putting their child in the nursery. I've met more people this way than by just mingling before or after the service. Vistors are often surprised when we say hello to their child by name after just one visit. It really makes them feel like a part of the church. And as a mom, it's easy to talk to other moms. Just start asking development/birth story/feeding questions and the ice has been broken!

Anyway, it's good to be back. I also went to Tiny Trackers last Wednesday and that was fun. Our last night is this week and we'll be off for the summer. Rob will be interpreting for the summer (and managed to be the only one in the service for Mother's Day, so he gets the whole day!) Hmmm...and I have a Mom's group newsletter to write....I always seem to forget about those until the last minute....

No comments: