Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Puddle Walk

Today was such a lovely day that I needed to get the kids outside for a walk. A puddle walk, that is! I had the boys gear up in boots and snowpants and we found every puddle in a three block radius. The best puddles were at the end of our driveway and our neighbors. Matthew splashed so hard that he got his hair wet :) Ben was a little more timid, but still splashed to his heart's content. Anna was even christened with a bit of mud when she and I got a little too close to the action. I'm sure she'll be joining them next year!

For those who have never gone on a puddle walk, let me explain them. You have to go when it's warm enough for a walk (say, around 50 degrees) but there is still lots of snow melting, so there are great puddles. Then there are the ground rules: You HAVE to splash in the puddles and have fun, street puddles are always off limits, and if it's not a sidewalk puddle, you have to ask Mommy before splashing in it. (i.e. driveway puddles on quiet streets are okay, puddles in construction areas are NOT okay).

When we got home, I had the boys take off their jackets, snowpants, and boots on the porch. Matthew had worn his rainboots and when he took them off, water gushed out. He then took off his socks and wrung out the water. His snowpants didn't help a bit, as he was wet up to the knees! They ditched the rest of their clothes right inside the door and I cleaned them off before they put on clean clothing. They had a blast and it was good to get them some fresh air. I'll add some pictures I took when I get around to it....

3 comments:

The Harrisons said...

sounds fun...and messy :)

Unknown said...

Terribly messy...good thing little boys are washable :)

Shanti said...

I have fond memories of my kids doing that with your kids!
We had a marsh walk. :-) Our back yard is like one big muddy marsh after all the snow melted, and then the rain came (it was 60) the other day. Your feet just sank in the mud. It was a rather unintentional walk. I sent the kids outside to pick up all their toys, not realizing how muddy the ground had become. Oh well. They had fun.