Thursday, February 18, 2010

Stop Growing Up!

Seriously. Why do the children insist on getting bigger?? I'm sure there are many wonderful benefits to have school-age children, but I really enjoy the toddler/preschool years. Especially since I'm getting the hang of it...just in time to start running out of toddlers and preschoolers!! I'll just have to treasure the next few years before I run out of little ones :)

To reinforce my woes, here are the "growing up" moments the children have had recently. We took a trip to the library today and I told Matthew to go pick out some easy readers. He usually gets a pile of them to read each week. He looked at that section, then turned and headed to the back of the children's room where all of the series books are kept and said, "I want to read some chapter books, Mom." I walked over to help him select some and that's when he informed me that easy readers are too easy! Wow! He's currently reading the first book in a series about pirate camp. And since I know he reads quality stuff in school (and enjoys it) I'm not too worried about him picking up "fluff" literature.

Ben is having his fourth birthday in two weeks and I got a little teary-eyed thinking about it. He'll be officially out of the nursery (3's are only in the nursery on Sunday mornings anyway). With Matthew I couldn't wait to move him to the 4's class but Ben seems littler than Matthew at this age. We have the invites out already for a Curious George party and he has invited five of his little friends to come. (I also hope I'm awake for the party b/c I'm going to see a former student of mine perform in the Broadway tour of Hairspray the night before.) I'm excited about having a party for six little boys (seven if you count Matthew).

Anna had a little grown-up moment herself today. She and I went to JoAnn fabrics to use my 50% off coupon on a tray for my stamp stuff and I decided to let her walk. She was such a good girl and held my hand the entire time. She only disobeyed one time but obeyed right away when I called her on it. She's learning to obey right away much quicker than the boys did. Could be a girl thing, or it could be that I'm finally getting the hang of it!

Hopefully, we'll all be going to the Milwaukee Public Museum tomorrow as Rob has the day off. He and I have both had a quick little instestinal bug that I'm over and he's almost over. As long as no children get it, we'll be off to see the dinosaurs!!

2 comments:

gpagmafulkerson said...

Hope you get there and have a good time. Take pictures of the kids with the dinosaurs. Really hope you all have a good day. Am feeling better , too.

Beverly said...

Yeah...definitely had a "growing up" moment with Charis today. I picked her up after her weekend retreat with the elementary church group that went to Scioto Hills. She jabbered on and on about BOYS!! Thankfully, not ones she thought were cute or anything on her end, but ones that were apparently interested in HER!!! YIKES!! SO not ready for this!