Monday, December 13, 2010

Anna at the Cantata

Our services were cancelled Sunday morning, but by early afternoon the weather had cleared and the cantata was still on for Sunday night. We decided to bring Anna into the service with us, thinking she'd be quiet enough. She will be joining us on Sunday nights normally when she turns 3 in a few months anyway, so this is a good time to start her transition. I informed her that she could come with us and she looked at me with her big, blue eyes and asked, "I'm a big girl to go to the service?" I told her yes, but that she had to stay quiet.

By the time we arrived for the cantata, most of the seats toward the back were taken up by college students. They are supposed to be reserved for families with small children, but either the ushers didn't put up the signs or the students moved them (which is frequently the case.) And since MBBC would not let students travel out of town for services that day, most of them ended up at our church. Yipee. We found our way toward the front of the auditorium, about four or five pews from the front. I was a little nervous, but thought Anna could handle it.

We rose for the first song and Anna sang mightily....until she realized she didn't know the song and looked up at me for encouragment. I smiled back at her and she continued singing. What, I don't know, but she sang with all her might! She slipped her little hand into mine part way through the song. She was fairly quiet at first, but could NOT sit still. There was a whole row of college guys behind us that were fairly amused with her behavior. She turned to look at them at one point and then said to me, "It's not funny to laugh at me!" I guess they were chuckling at her! One did approach us afterwards and told us how cute she was :)

When the choir began singing, Anna stood up and urged me to do the same. I guess she figured we HAD to stand whenever there was singing. I tried to explain it to her, but no deal. She stood at each new song and sat during the readings. And wiggled. A lot. I brought a quiet board for her, but she didn't want to do it. She did, however, want lip balm and mints from my purse. I finally got tired of the wiggling and traded children with Rob. Ben was on his lap to see better and sitting MUCH more quietly. Anna did okay with Rob until he tried to get her to look at Pastor Morris, who was playing the main character. She thought Rob wanted her to GO to Pastor Morris and kept trying to clarfiy the instructions. Very loudly. It was at this point that Rob took her for a little walk and put her in the nursery. She wasn't too happy about it, but at least we enjoyed the rest of the cantata in peace and quiet.

After we left church that night, I asked Anna why she went to the nursery. She told me that she was too loud. At least she understands and we're hoping to have her fully transitioned into the service before she turns three. It's such a blessing that both boys behave perfectly in the service now (even if they are not always the most cheerful about it!) She was so happy to be included with us and I think that desire will help her train a little quicker. Or at least I HOPE it does. :)

1 comment:

Shanti said...

Too cute!!
It's always those transitioning times that are so tough--whether it be potty training or learning to sit quietly in public places.