Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Adventures at Kmart

Yesterday afternoon we decided to go to our nearest Kmart so the kids could spend a gift card they had received at Christmas. We don't normally shop at Kmart (I could write a whole post on our evil San Jose Kmart) so the kids were excited to see a new store. We headed into Oconomowoc and piled out for a junior-sized spending spree.

I told the kids that I wanted them to buy a clothing item that they need first. They don't have too many needs thankfully, so they didn't complain about giving up some of their money for that purpose. Matthew needed a new pair of khaki dress pants, Ben needed underwear, and Anna...well, Anna didn't really need any clothing so I thought we'd look for dresses for next year. Matthew found pants pretty quickly while I took Anna to the little girls section. Kmart apparently does not believe in dresses, because I could not find any in her size. We did discover that Kmart is the place to shop for Kai-Lan apparel! Anna found pjs, a jacket, and a shirt. We turned down a pants outfit that just looked goofy and footie pjs. I got her larger sizes so she can still wear them next year. After that, I rescued Rob, who was having a hard time sizing underwear for Ben. Mom quickly got him set and we were off to electronics and toys.

Anna found a Wow Wow Wubbzy DVD for $5 but the boys didn't see anything they wanted. So we trooped over to toys. For the next HOUR we looked over everything the toy deparment had to offer. Twice. Matthew had originally wanted a Lego set, which would have easily finished off his gift card. We found one left and then looked for Ben. Kmart had ONE Riddler car that went with their Batman sets, so of course BOTH boys wanted it! I left Rob to handle that situation and looked at girl toys with Anna. We found a pair of plastic high heels that she HAD to have and that was it. Her money was pretty much spent at that point and she really didn't want anything else anyway. I went back to the boys and we looked over EVERYTHING before going back to the Lego set. After much deliberation, Ben gave up the Riddler car to Matthew and got himself some Buzz Lightyear gear and Hamm from Toy Story. Matthew couldn't find a second toy he wanted that met with Mom and Dad's approval, so we went back to the movies. He found a DVD he's been wanting and we ended with that.

We were pretty surprised when the total came up and it was $30 less than we thought! Turned out Matthew's DVD was on sale and Anna's clothes were all half off. Rob still has to spend a Sears gift card and since the kids' cards are also good at Sears, we'll wait for that trip to spend the rest of their money. I was pretty tired afterwards, so Rob let me use my gift card to Culver's for my supper :)

And I think the funniest thing I saw yesterday was Anna trying to walk in her high heels while wearing pajama pants that are WAY too long. I think that might be another ER trip waiting to happen....

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Just caught up on your Dec. posts. :-) So glad that everyone is healthy again--I know it is NO fun going through that with kids. Happy New Year to you all!