Saturday, December 11, 2010

Glitter and Sprinkles

The kids and I had a great time on Tuesday at a homeschool craft day. The library in Johnson Creek hosted their second annual Christmas craft day and had oodles of craft ideas and supplies for the kids. I was a little hesitant to take Anna because I knew I would have my hands full with Ben and Matthew. She did take a bit of watching at first, especially since all she wanted to do was add glitter to her projects! After making sure Matthew was okay and Ben was settled, I did let her do some glitter. And then she had to have glitter on EVERYTHING! I think next time (around Valentine's Day) I'll take my Stampin Up trays with me to help contain the mess. We did find her an easy project toward the end: a stocking with foam stickers. She made four of them and had a grand time picking out her own stickers. She was the tiniest one there, but pushed right in with the big kids to get her supplies!

The boys had a great time as well. Ben enjoyed himself, but Matthew was really in his element. He just loved making as many crafts as he could, and some of them turned out quite nice. He decorated his bed with them when we got home. I had to laugh because there was a ten-year-old at the table that kept copying Matthew's work. He's hosting a "Mommy and Me" stamp party in January and I know he'll be in his element.

We all made it to church on Wednesday night (yay!) and since the cantata was going on and I wasn't in it b/c my voice isn't quite back yet, I floated around and helped in a couple of different ministries. It was so nice to have all of us attend together! The second cantata performance is supposed to happen tomorrow night, but since we're in the middle of a blizzard that won't end until late tomorrow I'm sure it will be canceled. And that's okay...we'll just sing to ourselves :)

This morning I had a demo Christmas party to attend. We did a shoebox swap, where each demonstrator designed a card, cut the pieces for it, and then we all went around and made each other's cards. It was a fun time and we enjoyed a potluck lunch in the middle of all that stamping.

This afternoon, the kids and I went to a cookie decorating party. Last year, only Ben and I went b/c it was limited to just the children in his SS class, but the mom hosting the event opened it to siblings. Matthew and Anna were very excited to be included. Anna was ready to go about two hours prior to the event! Since we couldn't bring cookies due to the broken oven, I made a double batch of frosting and brought sprinkles. We had a great time with the decorating, although Anna was about as liberal with the sprinkles as she was with glitter! The weather was just starting to turn ugly as we were leaving, so it was good timing. We were supposed to have supper at the home of a friend 35 minutes away, but we cancelled. Hopefully we can reschedule soon!

We're going to have a kid-filled week coming up. We will have 8 children running around here Tuesday night as we babysit for some faculty kids during the MBBC Christmas party. Then on Thursday, one of those families is returning the favor as Rob and I go out on a date. Fun!! Friday is our Sunday School Christmas party, which included the kids. So lots of stuff going on, but it's all fun stuff :)

1 comment:

Shanti said...

Sounds like you've been having some fun times. So far every fun event or party for us has either been cancelled due to weather, or someone being sick. I think this is the first Christmas season where we haven't managed to make it to anything!
I'm looking forward to my parents coming a couple days after Christmas so maybe that's when the real parties will begin. :-P