Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"There's Just Something About a Girl"

Somewhere in my ramblings and readings, I remember reading or hearing a person remark, "Boy babies are fun, but there is just something about a girl that brings life to a family." We've certainly enjoyed the first eighteen months (almost nineteen!) of Anna's life, but the past few weeks have been so much fun with her. We are seeing her go from typical toddler-ish antics to the beginnings of "little girlhood."

Her vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds. Both of the boys were talking in small sentences by this age and Anna is no exception. Just today, when the phone rang, she ran to it and said, "Phone ringing! I got it!" I wish I could remember more of her sentences, but trust me that there are many, many more.

She enjoys playing pretend with Ben's kitchen set (which I think is quickly becoming Anna's kitchen set.) She likes to bring us little pretend food she has "cooked" and wants our approval. When we tell her it's delicious, she grins real big and then urges us to "eat" some more. She will also pull out the kids plates and cups from their drawer, "set" the table, then run into the living room and say, "Eat time, boys!" or "Supper, boys!"

She is taking direction very well. Just tonight I told her to go "help" Daddy vacuum and she looked at me very solemly, said, "O-tay" and ran off to help Daddy. Rob said she was very serious when she came to him. We've been having trouble with her climbing on the table but now when I tell her to get down off a chair, she says, "O-tay" and obeys. Without question, complaint, or a second glance. Kind of amazing, really....

Now, she's not perfect and she does throw a few temper tantrums, but they are usually short-lived and directed at Ben, who likes to take her toys and make her mad on purpose.

She likes to see herself in anything that reflects her adorable little face. Just the other night she was looking at herself in the kitchen window and said, "Anna!" then started talking to her reflection. She also loves phones and just about any toy she has turns into one. I will often hand her the phone first when Rob calls from work just to hear her say, "Hi, Daddy!" I think he likes it a little, too!

She loves to be in her little dresses and is already trying to dress herself. It's most undressing at this point, including the diaper, and I'm getting a little tired of finding a bare-tushied toddler in the crib after naptime. I was thinking about buying a sleep sack just for that purpose, but she's showing many signs that she's ready to potty train, so I'd hate to waste my money on something we wouldn't use for very long. Besides, she overheats very easily so I don't want to smother her.

God knew that I needed a little girl. I already have a poem bumping around in my head with that theme and a picture to go along with it, perhaps. She's such a joy and a blessing!

2 comments:

gpagmafulkerson said...

Can't wait to see all of you and Anna talking more. It is so much fun to see all the grandkids maturing and finding their way in this world. God has blessed us with four great kids and spouses and 10 grandkids.

Beverly said...

Reminds me of Kenna, who at 2 1/2 still says, "O-tay!" So sweet!