Monday, August 16, 2010

Fun times with Anna

Anna has been cracking me up lately just being herself. She's such a silly little toddler and so much fun! I don't know if it's because I get to enjoy her toddlerhood without having to care for a baby as well, or if it's just a girl thing, but she's too much fun. She giggles and jumps around and just enjoys life.

Today I was prepping for this next school year and she sat down with me at the table. She then said, "Daddy is at work. Daddy is super happy! He's a good boy." Her new phrase is "I'm super happy!" which she picked up from Ni-Hao Kai-Lan, of course. It does fit her, though, because she's usually super-happy!

This morning, the boys were fighting over who got to play with Anna. It all started when Ben refused to play with Matthew, so he chose Anna instead. Then Ben wanted to play with Anna and it just snowballed from there. Anna didn't care, because she was getting loads of attention from her big brothers!

After her nap today, I got down my two jewelry boxes and gave her one of them. It had been a gift from my grandmother when I was a girl, so I wanted to pass it on to her. She loves jewelry and does pretty well wearing it. I pulled out a few necklaces, rings, and a bunch of dead watches. She had a great time going through it all and chose a fun Pooh Bear necklace to wear for the rest of the day. I love having a girl!

In other news, I decided to give Matthew and I a small summer break from school. We've only being doing history, read-alouds, and phonics anyway, so I'm just going to finish the phonics in first grade and we'll read the other books as time permits. Rob and I each chose a read-aloud to read to Matthew in the afternoon/evenings. He has a few readers of his own to finish that he reads at night. I think we just needed to take a breather before plunging into a new core. Good thing too, because I didn't realize how much prep I had to get ready for the next school year! Much of it is due to over-organization, I'm sure, but we'll get it done. I do have our schedule finished as well and I think it's going to work out well.

Ben is not too excited to be starting K-4. He does not want to learn to read. I think it may be from trying to teach him earlier this summer out of the same book I used for Matthew. We may just change tactics on the reading and let it come a little slower and more naturally for him. I want him to love learning, not dread school time. I know he loves math and he's eager to get into his math work. We're trying Math-U-See this year for both boys.

No comments: