Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Long Update

I haven't written for awhile on here, but for very good reason. A day after my last post, Rob's grandmother passed away. She was a sweet lady and while we were sorry to lose her, we're glad that she's pain-free and in heaven now. She will be greatly missed.

Rob got two days off for the funeral, so we headed down to Illinois on the following Tuesday. The kids stayed with my parents while we went to the visitation and the funeral. They had a great time making puppets, cards, running through a sprinkler, going to the park, and other fun things. Grandma even played substitute teacher with Matthew and helped keep his schoolwork on track.

While the events of the two days were sad, we did have a nice time seeing relations we'd hadn't seen in years. After the visitation, Rob and I took his baby brother out for supper. Dan and his wife just had a baby a few days before the funeral, so his wife wasn't with him. We had a great time catching up with him.

The funeral service was beautiful, although I must say that I have never been in or seen a family procession at a funeral service. We all filed in after the casket and left after it as well. Rob's mother and aunt did a great job euglogizing and the message was good as well. The graveside service was interesting, as it was in a masoleum. I absolutely love to walk around cemeteries and study gravesites, so I got a bit too distracted looking around at the walls of the building, I'm afraid. But the short service there was nice as well.

After the luncheon, we headed back to pick up the kids and come home. It was an exhausting trip for sure, but made better by knowing the kids behaved themselves for my mom. :)

Since then, I have been busy with my stamping business. No huge workshops yet, but it's steady. I'm starting a class in September, so hopefully that will help things along. I am also my upline's assistant now and am excited to learn lots from her.

Matthew is finishing up his kindergarten material, quick style. I wasn't going to push things, but I decided to have him finish and start first grade at the same time his friends head off to first grade. He's aware of these things now, so I didn't want him to feel awkward around his friends. Ben will start K-4 at the same time Matthew starts first grade. He's not too thrilled about it yet, but hopefully it goes well :)

I am getting over a weird cold/fever thing, so I think I'll have to end this post. I had a temp of 102 for most of yesterday, so my body is rather weak today. And I'm noticing WAY more typos than usual, so time to go :)

1 comment:

Shanti said...

Lots going on! Hope you recover quickly from whatever bizarre bug you have. Mommies really can't afford to get sick!

I'm glad the funeral went as well as a funeral could go... It must be nice for the kids to catch up with the grandparents. I have to admit, I'm not sorry my parents have to come back to the States every 6 monts now.