Monday, August 30, 2010

Weekend Trip

This past weekend, we trekked down to Illinois for our last trip of the summer. It was filled with quite a few highs and lows, so to speak.

Rob took Friday off, so we travelled down in the morning. I must admit that I much prefer the morning trips as opposed to the afternoon ones! We had lunch with my parents, then Dad went back to work. Mom and I played with the kids while Rob took a nap and prepped himself for what was to come, which was he and the kids leaving me! My mom hosted an SU workshop that night and I had planned to stay overnight with her for some extra stamp time and rest.

And rest I did! I think I stayed put on the couch for about two hours, resting and reading (and eating supper!) Mom had two other people attend her workshop, one being my sister, but a good amount of outside orders. We had a ball stamping together. The next day, Mom and I pulled out the stamp stuff and had some fun making cards and teaching/learning some new techniques. I made cards for the kids for their first day of school. I'll post pics on Facebook once I take them :)

Mom treated me to Dairy Queen for lunch, finalized her order, then we took off for Normal. Rob was pretty happy to see me, but the kids seemed fairly indifferent. I'm sure being distracted at Grandpa and Grandma's made the difference. Mom took off for home and Rob and I got ready for another funeral and to take the kids to my sister's house.

I've been pretty silent about this on FB and the blog, but Rob's cousin's husband was killed in a motorcycle accident last Saturday evening. I guess I've just been processing alot and haven't known what to say. We had just met him at Grandma's funeral four weeks ago so we didn't know him too well, but we do know Holly. He was only 29 years old. It's hard to know what to say at a time like this, but the song that kept popping into my head was, "God never moves without purpose or plan....give thanks to the Lord for the testing seems long, in darkness he giveth a song. Oh rejoice in the Lord/ He makes no mistakes/He knoweth the end of each path that I take/For when I am tried and purified/I shall come forth as gold."

It was pretty tough week for Rob's family and the healing process will be long, but God is here and He hasn't abandoned anyone.

After the funeral, we ate out with Rob's parents, Great-grandma Litwiller (GG), and Grandpa Keen. Anna hadn't napped that day, so she was pretty grumpy at supper. As we were leaving, Ben had to use the bathroom. He took a wrong turn and went back into the restaurant. Rob went to check on him in the bathroom and here he came with a waitress, crying his eyes out! Poor guy!

We went to church with Rob's parents the next day, had lunch, and then left for home. We made good time and had a pretty good trip. Today was our first day of school, which gets it's own blog later...pictures included!

No comments: