Friday, August 13, 2010

What I Did to Survive the Heat

This week has just been gross, weather-wise, as I'm sure my mid-western friends are more than aware. We have one air conditioner in the downstairs (for which we are thankful) and that's it. In heat like this, it cools down the study and living room, makes the dining room and kitchen bearable, and makes the upstairs feel like a furnace after all that wonderful coolness. I spent the first two yucky days with a fever, so I was actually fine going upstairs. Rob stared wide-eyed at me as I covered myself up to go to bed Tuesday night, but when your temp is 102.5, a hot room is chilly!!

There was no way I was letting the kids outside to play and it was too hot for Rob to hook up the hose and stand out there for a slip-n-slide. So we got creative. They did go to church on Wednesday, so that helped, but Thursday was a tough one. We decided to give them each their own long, cool bath. Ben and Anna enjoyed theirs, but not Matthew. He prefers a sibling to splash. We also kept them up later so they weren't suffering upstairs. Anna didn't nap yesterday either, since it would have been impossible for her to fall asleep.

They were all up and going stir-crazy this morning, so we changed tactics. In an effort to get Anna to sleep at naptime and keep us cooler, I hunted on-line for the nearest Dairy Queen. I found one in Hartford, about 20 miles away, so we headed out for a nice country drive after lunch. We only had to make one turn, which was also nice, so Rob and I enjoyed a stress-free drive with both Anna and Matthew conked out for naps. Ben enjoyed some peace and quiet in the backseat as well. We had some ice cream treats, then headed back home.

Since then, we've had a board game/toddler game marathon going on all over the house. Matthew and I are in a Labryinth competition right now. It's a neat Discovery Toys game and it would take another post to describe it, but he has come close to beating me. There's alot of smack talking between us, which is just as much fun as the game. I was behind him by a considerable amount tonight, caught up, and then won the game with a big "EAT IT, LITTLE MAN!" coming out of my mouth at the end. He laughed so hard that he fell off his seat, but he said he'll get me tomorrow :)

So I think we'll make it through one more day of heat. It's storming right now, so there's hope that even tomorrow won't be too hot. Which would be nice, since Rob and I will be celebrating our 11th anniversary :)

No comments: