Monday, January 17, 2011

Surprise, Surprise

Today it is snowing penguins and polar bears (an arctic version of cats and dogs.) It started pretty early this morning and I think we've gotten about five inches so far with no signs of stopping. I knew our G6 was NOT going to make it into the driveway, so it was up to me and the boys to shovel out the driveway so Rob could get the car in. Well, mostly up to me :)

I informed the boys at lunch that we would go out at 1:30 to shovel (close enough to Rob returning home that we wouldn't have to reshovel). They both stopped and stared at me. Matthew said, "YOU are going to shovel?" I told him yes. Then Ben asked, "Do you know how to shovel, Mom?" Believe it or not, I do know how to shovel! I'm not surprised they were shocked, seeing as I do not play in the snow....ever....and we have pretty defined boy/girl jobs around here. Shoveling snow and trash are boy jobs for sure!

Matthew then proceeded to give me snow shoveling lessons to remind me how to shovel. I then reminded him of the times I had to shovel around here when Dad was in school. I didn't think much had changed. I told him, "I know how to shovel...I scoop and then throw it on you!"

We got all geared up and went outside. The boys attempted to help, Ben being more helpful than Matthew, but their idea of helping is shoveling exactly where I am. I sent them to various areas to "help." Matthew lost interest pretty quickly and left to make snow angels. I did dump some snow on him, which made him cry and head inside, Anna on his heels. Ben stayed out with me and we cleared the drive (twice, since the snow plow went past) and then headed inside for some homemade hot chocolate.

And that counts for my excercise today!!

No comments: