Monday, March 28, 2011

Finding Another New Normal

My head has been spinning for the past three days....so much that I haven't even kept the family updated on what's happening! It's been really tough to process everything that's been going on AND keep our regular schedule AND do a few pre-planned events. Let's go back to Tuesday. Rob went to the Bass outlet to put in an application there. We have a good friend who is the manager and I work there twice a year to help with inventory. She wanted to help Rob get something to bring in income while he got a full-time job. He was set to interview with them on Thursday. Wednesday afternoon, he got a call from G & V Machine Co in Ixonia, where he had an interview a few weeks ago. They wanted to hire him, but for a different position. They basically created a full-time assembly position for him with the intent to train him on the machining part of the business. He had a final interview/tour with them Wednesday night. Then he went to the Bass interview on Thursday and got that job as well! So, what to do? The decision: He took both jobs. We believe that this time of our lives is one that will be dedicated to work and paying off all debts that we have incurred, some which have been hanging on for awhile, some of which were incurred while Rob was in school. He will be working 4pm-midnight at G & V, and the Bass job is part-time during the day. The hours will vary, but he will never start prior to 10am and usually done by 2pm. We're very thankful for both incomes! Taking both jobs did create a problem. The kids and I would pretty much be stuck at home all of the time. Sure, we could take him to the Bass job if we need the car, but not the other job. They are working overtime at G & V and there is no way he could get a ride home at midnight. We wouldn't be able to go to church on Wed nights and I would not be able to keep up my business activities. So we started to look for a new vehicle. Well, used, but you know what I mean :) We did quite a bit of hunting on-line and settled on a used van from a Ford dealer here in town. We were able to put a chunk down on it but had to finance the rest. It will make things tight for us and seems like a step backward in paying off debts, but is what we need to take a giant step forward. And I love "my" shiny red van! So can you see why my head has been spinning? Oh, and in the midst of all of this, my Stampin Up! business is really taking off. I had eight ladies here on Saturday afternoon for a stamping event and many want to continue in my monthly classes. I have four workshops on the book for the next month or so w/another one to plan. God has been so good in blessing my business. We're praying that my income pretty much makes the van payments or at least contributes the vast majority of it. And the kids have been real troopers through it all. I had to completely redo our daily schedule and they were excited!! We also redid their Chore Packs and they love that as well. (The chore packs are clip-on card holders that they wear while they do chores. There is a separate card for each chore and it helps remind them what they need to do next. I have one, too, or I get distracted!) I'm so thankful for a wonderful family. Thank you for your prayers in this crazy season of our lives. We so thankful to the Lord for quickly providing work for Rob. He was only laid off for three weeks. We're also thankful for our van and how that deal all worked out. God is so good!!

No comments: