Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fibro Treatment Update: Week 2-1

I have just finished week one of the second six weeks of treatment. I must say, it was SOOOO nice to only go in two days this week! I don't mind the treatments and I like the office, but it does cut into the school schedule. On days when I have nowhere to go, we get everything done in the mornings and the day seems to go so much better.

This week, he started something new: aricular (sp??) therapy. Basically, it's acupuncture on my ears. And yes, it hurts. I was a little sore after Monday's treatment, but Thursday's let me very sore and with some nerve pain. He told me that's b/c I'm out of balance and as everything gets back into place, it will not hurt anymore. I also worked on a wobble board, which is supposed to help straighten out my brain. (No jokes, Dad!)

I've gotten more used to the diet and surprisingly don't feel as hungry as I used to. We have gone out to eat once this week and I was again able to find something. Last night I took the boys to turn in their Book-it coupons and grabbed supper for Anna and I from Culver's. I found a great salad that I just loved. And it's a good thing I don't mind eating my salads dry!

Because Rob is showing signs of gluten sensitivity, we've made the decision to take the entire family down the gluten-free route quicker than we anticipated. I made a huge list of meals the kids enjoy and went through my cookbook, marking down how to make things gluten-free and getting rid of recipes that show no hope of transition. I was amazed to discover how many of my favorites are already gf or lend themselves to simple changes. And our local butcher is starting to sell gluten-free pizzas! Rob and the kids went and got some yesterday and said they were great.

I also started baking for the family again. GF bread is very expensive and since Rob and I prefer to home make our food anyway, we invested in the myriad of ingredients needed to bake gf. I have made sandwich bread, chocolate cupcakes, and blueberry scones so far. We didn't get our brown rice ground up enough for the bread, so it tasted very "ricey" according to Matthew, but we think we've already fixed that problem. The cupcakes were AWESOME, although very light so the kids had to eat them with a fork. I make a big breakfast for the kids on Saturday mornings, so we tried out the scones today. The kids gobbled them right down! We'll see what Rob thinks when he wakes up. It feels so good to be baking again!

Oh, and how am I feeling? A little sore here and there, but better. I've had a head cold all week, so it's hard to tell what is the cold and what is the fibro. Otherwise things are going along well.

No comments: