Tuesday, December 11, 2007

O Kissmasmee

That's right: The Litwillers have finally decoracted for Christmas. I put it off for quite awhile only because I wanted the mininal amount of time possible to keep little fingers off the tree and other decorations. We also don't do much (my wonderful husband detests Christmas decorating) so I knew it wouldn't take long when we started. Matthew kept asking and asking and asking, so we finally got out the decorations on Saturday night after the Christmas Cantata at church. (We went to work in the nursery.)

The tree went up first. Our tree is leftover from the apartment days, so it's pretty small. It's also very scrawny. I really must post a picture of it. We're afraid that the neighbors might take up a collection for a new tree for us so we don't disgrace the neighborhood (we live in a nice, historic district with houses that do those house tour thingys.) Anyway, Rob took out the top part (it's in four parts) and said, "Well, boys, this is it! How do you like it?" Matthew made a face and immediately looked in the box for the rest of it. What was funny was when they kept looking after the thing was up!

Rob put on the lights and red beads while I sorted through the ornaments for all of the indestructible ones. That's means only 1/4 of the ornaments went up, but since that's all the tree will take, it's okay! The boys put them on with my direction. Matthew did very well and has since then been fussy about the tree being perfect. Ben couldn't figure out how to get them on the branches so he gave up and just handed me ornaments. Since then, he has been taking some off and managed to tip the tree over yesterday. ***Sigh*** Now you know why I waited so long!

Rob put up the star on our Charlie Brown tree (the first time the star went up, it tipped the whole tree over, hence the nickname) and plugged in the lights. Next, we took out the stockings and put them up, along with my decorations that go on top of the piano. The boys went to bed shortly afterwards and we collapsed.

The next night, the boys and I went back to church for Cantata Round 2 (again, working in the nursery) and while we were gone, Rob surprised us. He hung up lights in the window! I'm so proud of him...getting over the trauma of Christmas decorating in childhood (what did you guys do to him, Leanah???) They look nice.

You know, as I've sat back and looked at that sad little tree, I realized something. It's grown on me. I actually like it now. I don't think I could ever get rid of it. It's perfect for the boys, it doesn't overwhelm them, and it's just plain cute. They think it's a big tree and that's all that matters. I'd have to say that was $20 at Target well spent.

1 comment:

Shanti said...

and on the plus side...when they do knock it over on top of themselves...they won't be killed. :-)