Saturday, September 6, 2008

Settling into a New School Year

We have just finished our first week with Rob going back to school. It really hasn't been as bad as I expected it to be. Last year, the kids went nuts and had to be retrained discipline-wise with Daddy out of the picture. Whatever we did with them this summer seems to have worked because I have not seen such good behavior out of them ever! Here are a few examples:

Mom's group was on Thursday of this week and afterwards we had the mad scramble to get our children out the door without having them run all over the church. The boys saw me and ran out of the nursery. I asked them each, individually, to go and sit on the bench by the nursery and wait while I picked up Anna. When I came out of Anna's nursery, the boys were actually sitting on the bench and waiting for me. I almost expected to hear Twilight Zone music playing! We all walked out (not quite together, they ran on ahead as I spoke to another mom) and they got into the car with a minimum of fuss.

Yesterday, we made our weekly trek to the library. We walk, seeing as it's just around the corner. I take my double stroller for safety reasons because I have been teaching Ben how to walk with me this summer. He has a leming-like tendency to run out in front of traffic...a habit that is most disturbing. We reviewed the rules and consequences before we left and then he stayed right with me, held onto the stroller as we crossed the street, and was a good boy. We reviewed the library rules right before entering the building. The boys even looked at books in the children's room while I quickly found one I was looking for in the education section. We reviewed check out rules in the elevator and they stayed with me while we checked out our books. Matthew even amused the libarian by signing "Curious George" for her and chatting about her desk being messy (that was b/c our books were on it!)

At home, they have been as active as usual, but still obeying. Rare is the time that I have to issue corporal punishment with either one of them. I have found that what works best with the boys is reviewing rules one step at a time, having them repeat the rule, and having them tell me the consequence of not following the rule. By repeatedly reminding them of the rules, they have learned what to do and are very good. A friend of mine from Cali gave me that advice and it works beautifully. Here's a sample conversation:

Mommy: Ben, what do we do when we're on a walk?
Ben: We stay with Mommy.
Mommy: Do we run across the street?
Ben: No.
Mommy: What happens if you run away from Mommy?
Ben: I have to ride in the stroller.
Mommy: Do you want to ride in the stroller?
Ben: No, I want to walk.
Mommy: So, what are you going to do?
Ben: Stay with Mommy.

I use this pattern for a lot of things we do and it works. They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and that sure applies to behavior!

Rob is enjoying his classes and does have less work overall, but still alot to accomplish. He's determined not to let things slide like last year, but last year he had a high-maintainence pregnant wife to deal with and lots more housework. He can focus more on schooling this year for sure. He has a total of 17 credits left, 8 this semester and 9 next, then he should graduate in May. After that he'll be hanging around here for another 3-4 years for seminary work because Maranatha now has a seminary! You can all now start praying for a larger home for us since we will outgrow this one very quickly. Three children in one bedroom works when they're small, but it won't much longer, especially since one is a girl!

Matthew is enjoying his schoolwork as well. He especially enjoys the reading book we are working on (that 100 lesson thing). I checked it out from the library to test it on him and he's doing well so far. His motivation to read is so he can read to Benjamin :) He's so cute!

That's is from our house right now. I need to go put a little boy down to nap so I can go grocery shopping and finish my string of errands. Saturday is the only full day I have access to the car, so I have to get as much done as possible!

2 comments:

Shanti said...

Hey cool! You're doing that "teach your child to read in a 100 lesson thing" too??

I've been doing that with David. It seems to be working with him as well. I kinda wondered just because he was slower to talk (unlike Matthew), and Angela was also a bit quicker than him that way. But today he read his first sentence. It think we're on like lesson 12 or something. Wherever that first sentence is. He was so proud! He's been so happy to do it too. He just really really wanted to read on his own.

Unknown said...

Yes, we're on lesson 8, I think. Matthew's problem right now is his memory. If I'm not paying attention, he'll just listen to me and say the sounds instead of read them. I finally caught him about two lessons back and after a huge meltdown on his part, I got him to actually look at the page everytime. I've had to adapt the sounding out part...I can't read it first. I make him sound it out so that he's actually looking at the page. Now it's working!