Saturday, March 14, 2009

Anna Not-so-Funnies

Miss Anna has had something since Wednesday. I'm pretty sure it's rotavirus because it acts just like what the boys had at this time last year. Thankfully, she doesn't seem as bad as her brothers. She has been vomiting, but not as frequent as them, and her diaherrea isn't as frequent either. She seemed to be doing better last night, but then this morning proved otherwise. The following tale is not for the weak of stomach.....

Rob is still finishing his second big paper, so I decided to take the kids to Wal-Mart for a nice, long, leisurely walk around the store. You know, the dangerous kind where you keep finding things that you "need." Anna was a little sleepy but after a short snooze on Rob seemed okay to go. We ran two errands then headed to the store. We found a couple of things then decided to meander around the Easter department. I guess all that pastel was a little too much for Anna because she vomited in about four waves as we rounded the corner to the next aisle. Now, let me describe the scene for you: The kids were in one of those wonderful blue carts that hold three children. The boys were facing Anna. And she vomited right on them. Poor Matthew bore the brunt of the action down his side. He wasn't strapped in, so he quickly shot out of the cart and held out his arm. I dove for the diaper bag and handed him some diaper wipes. Then I moved the cart a bit and it jostled the vomit so that it started heading Ben's direction. Ben was strapped in and kept scrunching himself closer to the edge of the cart saying "Mommy!" repeatedly in an increasingly panicked tone. I got him unstrapped, but not before his pants got wet. Then I used every diaper wipe I had to clean up. Miss Anna, basically unscathed, sat in the cart and jabbered to us, feeling much better.

Of course I couldn't find any Wal-Mart workers anywhere to help with clean-up, so I did the best I could and tried to find one on the way to the bathrooms. I found a checker, who notified someone about clean-up, and then finished cleaning the cart with paper towels while the boys went potty. Anna seemed better but I didn't think it wise to continue shopping since the boys were a mess, so we paid for the few items we had and headed home so they could change.

If the boys hadn't been such good sports and so well-behaved, the incident might have been a nightmare. We went back out after Anna was napping and I took them to the park, out to lunch, and back to Wal-Mart to finish our shopping. Well, begin and finish, I guess. Anna has still been sick today. If it is rotavirus, we should see one more day of this stuff and then she'll be okay. She's been keeping down the fluids since 1:30 and I hope we have no more erruptions today.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh, bummer!!! I feel your pain! I remember Charis puking all over me at a restaurant when I was huge pregnant with Tobin...and then Ted and I proceeded to get violently sick a couple of weeks before the baby was born. Not fun.

Shanti said...

eeeeeeeewwww. They really did do pretty well for getting puked on!! That's about the grossest thing that can happen to a person.

It could be a rotavirus or whatever she picked up from sucking on the pretzel she was dipping in the toilet water. blech!