Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Kiddo Update

I haven't done a general update on the kids recently, and there is a lot going on!

Matthew: He's still enjoying his preschool time, for the most part. I had been doing half a reading lesson per day with him, but realized at this rate we wouldn't finish until July. We do a whole lesson each day, but half in the morning and half in the afternoon. That's really helped, because if I try to do a whole one, he has a complete meltdown. Not because he can't handle it, but because he REFUSES to do that much reading! Kind of sad, because he has picked it up so easily. But he's on lesson 78 now and our goal is to finish the book by the time Daddy graduates in May. He has also developed an interest in math, so I picked up a math workbook at Wal-Mart that is kindergarten level. He's does well, but handwriting is difficult for him. We'll add that into kindergarten next year. Right now, I'd rather he just do what's comfortable for him and we'll learn it more formally later. I figure if most doctors can't write and they still became doctors, it's all good :) We are also enjoying the Brain Quest cards. He is doing the kindergarten level ones, which is good, because they have shown me some learning gaps I can focus on next year. We have pretty much decided to go with Sonlight next year for our kindergarten program. He's asking to go to "real" school, so I thought we could do things a little more formally, but still stay as far away from textbooks as we can. Otherwise, he's having loads of fun playing games every day and playing with his little brother and sister.

Ben: He's having some fun with preschool as well. He mainly just plays with "schooltime" toys while I teach Matthew and he loves it. He'll even sit with a book the entire time and flip through the pictures. His favorite one right now is a Richard Scarry book from his Uncle Andy and Aunt Melissa. He's been having struggles with the potty training, as in accidents. He's okay at night, but sometimes he waits too long and doesn't make it to the potty. Part of his problem is that the stepstool and pretty much the entire bathroom has to be "just right" before he can go. :) The biggest blowout he had was at my in-laws last weekend when Rob and I stepped out for coffee. I have a deeper love for my mother-in-law now :)

Anna: SHE'S FINALLY WALKING!! Ever since we got back from Illinois after her birthday, she's been walking everywhere. I'd say she walks about 50-60% of the time now and it won't be soon before crawling is a distant memory. She can now identify noses and mouths, but only on other people. She also plays a game the boys have dubbed "Shakey." We hide an object in one of our hands and she guesses which hand it's in. Mommy shakes her hands together before hiding it, hence the name of the game. Anna will play it forever and keeps grabbing the object and handing it to us to play again. She's very serious and even gets a bit upset if she guesses wrong! She has also developed a love for dollies and likes her big purple one in particular. It's so cute! Oh, and she's eating tons now...three good meals a day and snacks. She's on whole milk and loves it. The formula seemed to be bothering her toward the end anyway. My next hurdle is to get her onto sippy cups. She actually threw one at me the other day...wonder where that temper comes from?

Rob: On track to graduate May 8th. Planning to attend seminary in the fall to pursue a Master's of Divinity, which means 5-6 more years of schooling. As long as it keeps snowing here, I'm fine with it!!

Me: Still here. I'm on a cleaning rampage to get the house in shape and prepare to have a garage sale with a friend who moved back here recently. My house is clean, just very cluttered. I've always been a clutter bug and it really does bother me...I just lack motivation. I need some of this stuff out of here/stored, however, if I am to have the room I need for school stuff.

And that's us as of the end of March!!

2 comments:

Shanti said...

Love the "Shakey" game!! Too cute!

David and I just do 1/2 the reading lesson. Therefore we're only on Lesson 60. I'm also using a book from the library called "Phonics Pathways" which is really good on the "blending" side of things and will really help out with spelling. That one only takes about 5 min. to get through a page. Then we do the Math U SEE book (which he loves!), and some handwriting. For some reason he actually LOVES handwriting. First kid I've ever heard of who loves it. He actually tries to write and illustrate his own stories...so who knows? Maybe he'll be an author one day. Since he's only 4, I'm not in a rush to finish the "100 lessons" book. I'm not doing anything formal for Kindergarten either. I think just starting them on a full curriculum in 1st grade is best, because before that they can't really sit that long and focus anyways. 1st grade had a lot of breaks too. ;-)

Unknown said...

I don't want to do ANY curriculum wiht him, but he keeps begging me to go to "real" school so I'm trying to compromise. I showed him all of the stuff we'd do next year and he was very excited. I'm glad I don't have to start tracking hours with him until he's six so that we can get into a good pattern next year.