Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Preacher Quote

We're at the end of our missions conference at Calvary and our keynote speaker is Dr. Sanders, who was a pastor here from 1960-72. The service had gone long because two missionaries had given their reports and by the time he got to preach, the service had gone on for about an hour. He then proceeded to assure us that he would only preach for 35-40 minutes at most because, "If you haven't struck oil in 35-40 minutes, then stop boring!"

I just about died laughing!

4 comments:

The Harrisons said...

I don't know if I would have been spiritual enough to laugh after the service had already gone on for that long :-) But it was a pretty funny statement I'll give him that!

Anonymous said...

I will have to share that one with John! He is a great fan of keeping sermons short enough that people are actually still awake and paying attention during the second half of them. LOL

gpagmafulkerson said...

Heard that one before, too. I think their watches stop and can't tell time.

Shanti said...

John had a good laugh after I repeated the quote. Well, I kind of screwed it up but got it right on the third try. ;-)

Of course, his official response was "Studies do show that after 30 min. a persons' brain just shuts off...."