Monday, September 3, 2007

What a week!

This past week we had quite the adjustment to Rob's new schedule. He leaves for class around 7am, comes home for about 40 minutes after classes (different times each day) and then leaves for work and is gone until 8pm. It's been rough on me and the kids to not see Daddy quite so much and of course, very hard on Rob. He loves his classes, but he is exhausted at the end of each day. And it doesn't end there, because he has school work to do. He is taking six classes this semester, the toughest of which is Greek Syntax. He loves Greek, but it's a lot of work. We pretty much limped into the weekend. I have noticed a major behavior change in the boys, especially Ben, and have had to be firmer with them. Another friend who's husband also started his classes said she's been having boot camp at her house, so at least I know that it's not just me!

Rob's parents came for a visit this weekend, along with their delightful new dog, Abbie. Abbie was left at a shelter with little more than her name attached. She's around three years old (giver or take a year) and is a Schnauzer mix. She is very sweet and the kids had fun seeing a dog in the house. They both got to feed her a treat. Matthew made her sit for her treat, but Ben just gave it to her. Ben just might be her favorite. :)

We had a nice visit with the Litwiller's, although Rob and I were rather tired. We went out to lunch at Culver's ( I won paper/rock/scissors so I beat out Rob's Chinese place) and then came back here. Matthew is a Grandma's boy and he had Grandma playing a fishing game, playing with Play-Doh, Candyland, Ants in My Pants, a Discovery toys game, reading books, and probably a few things I missed. Ben just wanted to be read to and wanted to be part of whatever action was going on. We didn't put him down for a nap because it's hard to predict how long he'll sleep.

They went on a walk (Mommy napped) and shortly after, Jim and Leanah left. Ben had fallen asleep in the stroller, but woke up shortly after they left. We decided to let Matthew calm down a little and popped in The Wizard of Oz. He fell asleep during "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and woke up during "If I Were King of the Forest." I'd say he missed all the good stuff!

We've had a great day today. Rob only had one class (Greek, go figure) and then he's been home all day. We tried taking the boys to the park but the mosquitoes were so bad that we left after only 30 minutes. Ben was rather upset, as this park had a toddler play area. Rob and I, however, were tired of smashing the little pests all over ourselves. Matthew even complained that his ear itched.

Oh, and for those that know MJ well, get this: he requested a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and actually ate it! Will wonders never cease? (MJ does not like pb and j's.)

I'm hungry (for the 80th time today) so it's time to go eat!

4 comments:

The Harrisons said...

Yay - at least you have an appetite!! I remember Greek syntax! Not fun for daddys or families :-( We'll be praying for you guys this semester. I'm watching an 18ish month tomorrow so we will see what its like to have a toddler and a baby...maybe some good birth control :-)

Unknown said...

Nah...it's lots of fun to have two. Now, 6 months and 18 months is a little close in age, but I think the closest in age on record is 7 months...can't even imagine!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I got Sela to eat peanut butter over the weekend, too! I put peanut butter and honey on her bread. She wolfed it down. Unfortunately, I haven't convinced her to try it again. She asks for "just honey on bread" but then doesn't eat that either. Silly kid.

Shanti said...

oh my brain! I was going to comment on something...and I forgot what it was.


Oh yeah. Ben always wants me to read to him too when you drop him off in the morning.