Friday, November 9, 2007

Crazy Little Ben-Ben

**chuckle** My adorable little twenty-month old did something today that I figured would happen sometime, but I didn't expect it to happen just yet. Here's the tale of crazy little Ben-Ben.

Rob had taken our laundry down to the basement this morning and had started a load. About 1/2 an hour later, I went down to transfer the laundry into the dryer. Matthew decided to come with me and Ben stayed upstairs, happily playing with a fire house and cars. As I was transferring laundry, I heard a scraping noise upstairs that could only mean one thing: Ben was moving a chair across the kitchen. Hmmm....is he doing what I think he's doing? Nah...he wouldn't. I finished my chores, called for Matthew, and we tromped up the stairs together. We got to our door and tried to open it, to no avail. Ben had locked the door.

The door to the basement has a simple lock on the top, with no actual keyhole on the other side. The boys have played with it before, but always when we're upstairs. They usually come down with us, so it hadn't been a problem thus far. But, now Matthew and I were on the basement stairs, with nothing but a one-year-old to help us. Here's how the following ten minutes transpired:

Mommy: Ben, unlock the door.
Ben: (Jiggles the door handle.)
Mommy: No, Ben, not the handle. Move the chair back to the door.
Ben: Oh. (Chair is heard moving to the OTHER door in the kitchen.)
Mommy: No, Ben, bring the chair over to Mommy and open the door.
Ben: Oh. (Chair is moved back, door handle jiggles again.)
Mommy: Ben, climb up on the chair and open the lock.
Ben: Oh. (We discovered later that he got into my recipe cards at this time rather than opening the door.)
Mommy: (Gets a good idea). Ben, turn on the lights! Climb up and turn on the lights. (They are located right next to the door.)
Ben: Oh. (The light switches are being flipped.)
Mommy: Okay, Ben, now open the door.
Ben: Oh. (Gets down off the chair and turns the handle again.)
Matthew: Mommy, I don't think Ben is going to open the door.
Mommy: I don't think he is either. I'm going to go around the house through the basement doors and see if Daddy left the front door unlocked. You stay here and try to get Ben to open the door.
Matthew: Okay, but I don't think he's going to open it. Ben, climb on the chair....

I go out the basement door and around to the front. Praise the Lord, Rob left the front door unlocked and I hurried into the kitchen. Ben was rather surprised to see me. I let Matthew in and told him to keep Ben from locking the door while I shut the basement doors. I came back upstairs, and Matthew had locked me out.

Thankfully, he opened the doors after about two seconds. Needless to say, I haven't been back downstairs today to do the laundry. And I haven't stopped laughing about it either. Oh, and about 1/2 hour after this, Rob came home from class, so we would have had some help w/o having to break down the door.

And we're having another one of these people???

3 comments:

The Harrisons said...

good story :-) My sister was locked out of the house by a two year old she was watching before - totally freaked her out!

Anonymous said...

When we lived in the apartment and I had to take my laundry down to the laundry room, I always took my keys with me, even if I was leaaving the apartment empty. And I still pocket the keys if any or all of us are going outside now that we're in a house. Both kids can reach the doorknob lock and the screendoor lock w/o having to stand on anything, and I really don't want either of them sneaking back into the house and locking me out!

Your courage in having another one amazes and impresses me. LOL

gpagmafulkerson said...

Been there and done that, one time or another. Very frightening and funny at the same time.

I suppose the thing to do make both boys go with you. Comment too late for today's event.