Sunday, November 4, 2007

Trip to Pontiac

This past weekend, the boys and I travelled to Pontiac, Il., home of the Indians and my parents. We had a great time visiting with them and I'll try to stay awake long enough to finish this blog.

We took off after taking Rob to work on Friday and it took us a little longer than usual to get there. We had to make two potty stops (one for Mommy and one for Matthew) and one break for lunch at a Wendy's. I think I have amnesia about taking the kids places, b/c I forgot that one parent vs. two little guys are not good odds at a fast food place. They weren't bad, but Matthew had to go potty twice, so we all had to troup to the bathroom and back, leaving our food on the table. I was smart enough to ask for it to go so that I didn't have to deal with a tray.

We did finally make it to Pontiac, and I stopped outside of Wal-Mart to get the kids into their Halloween costumes. We went trick-or-treating at Grandpa's Work (or Papa's work, as the kids call it.) They got a few treats (and some laughs) from Dad's fellow employees, then we went to trick-or-treat at Grandma's. My parents only had one treater on Halloween, so they had lots of candy left. Matthew tore into about four pieces before we caught him!

Mom and I took the kids to a park and then to do some grocery shopping. I was pretty worn out by that time. We went to another park the next morning and Dad and Mom took the kids to a third park Saturday night. They were so excited to get out to all of these fun, new parks. They also picked their favorite activities in the house. Ben's was getting into Papa's chair whenever Papa got up and Matthew's was hiding in a tub while Papa bopped it around. It was fun to watch them play with their grandparents.

On Saturday afternoon, I got to go to a baby shower for Rob's brother and his wife. Their first little one will be arriving in the next month. They got a lot of nice things (although I missed some of it b/c I had to exchange some items with my sister...like our new phone!!!) It was so nice to go to a family event. That is something we really missed about living in Cali. I especially like how well I fit in with Rob's side. I know some people feel akward with in-laws, so we are very blessed that both of us fit in well on the opposite side. (I had to say that b/c I know that all of them read my blog---I love you guys!!)

We went to church w/Mom and Dad and I was a little nervous about leaving the boys. Neither one did well a month ago at their Litwiller grandparents' church, but this time they were fine. I think they were sick last month, so that's why they were cranky. We left for home after lunch, and that was an interesting trip. It was so windy that I almost got blown off the road a few times and when that calmed down, I hit lots of construction, and when that calmed down, the boys started playing together. They are so cute, but their loudness is not conducive to a car ride, so I had to ask them to quiet down. I did find a Patch the Pirate radio program, so that interested them for the rest of the trip.

It's good to be home. I keep having huge waves of tired (like during supper when I almost fell asleep eating.)

Congrats to Jesse and Karen on the birth of Anthony David. For my blog friends, please pray for the little guy. He is 8 weeks early. He's doing good so far, but as with most premies, breathing is an issue. Pray for Jesse and Karen as well, as Anthony will have to stay in the hospital for awhile.

4 comments:

Shanti said...

Yeah...that all would be exhausting--but sounds like you had a great time! So how far away is Pontiac?

Anonymous said...

I took the kids out for lunch by myself the other day. Evan was supposed to stay with John and nap while Sela and I had a girls' day out, but he (Evan) had other ideas. Sela dragged a high chair to a booth (our Arby's has no tables, and the chair had no wheels!) but I couldn't get the tray off to get Evan into it, so I gave up and put both kids in the booth with me. It was a continuous litany of "please sit down" and "knees or bottom, please" and "not for Evan!" and "Just leave the fry on the floor." We managed, but it was tricky to eat when I needed both hands to keep food and shakes and kids contained.

Unknown said...

That pretty much sums up our experience, seeing as they didn't even HAVE high chairs at that Wendy's!

hartgirlies said...

You had better say that about family! It was good to see you, but I wish we had more time to visit. We will HAVE to MAKE some time! I have to catch up on my blog too! I have been so busy taking pics of everyone else that I have no time to update news/photos of my own kids! Most os the pics I take of them are scowling faces now. They are so over my picture phase!