Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day O' Grad Events

Today, the day BEFORE graduation, we attended a couple of grad events. This morning was the final chapel for the year and was dedicated to the graduates. Many of the students are gone anyway since the last finals were yesterday, so the only students still hanging around are grads, people performing at graduation, and those sticking around for summer school. Rob and I found babysitters, so I was able to attend with him. We had kind of intended it to be date-ish, but we picked up a friend of his who needed a ride and he hung around with us the entire time. **sigh** Still trying to get that make-up date in from a month ago....

Anyway, it was a nice chapel and several of the graduates/parents of grads gave testimonies. I received an Honorary P.H.T. for my efforts as a spouse. P.H.T. stands for "Pushing Hubby Through." I even have a certificate to prove it :) Afterwards, we had lunch in the MBBC cafeteria, courtesy of the college. The food was pretty good for institutional fair. Their new dining hall is very nice and roomy, feeling more like a buffet at a nice restaurant than a college dining hall.

Rob took me back home and then returned to school for rehearsal where his head spun around for over an hour. Thankfully, all the info they unsuccessfully tried to cram in there was on a handout, so we had the necessary info. I'm convinced some of the grads are graduating illiterate b/c a few had to be sent home to change before Baccalaureate tonight. (One of my MAJOR pet peeves is people who do not read info given to them and walk around clueless when there is no need to be clueless!!!)

We returned for the Baccalaureate service around 6:15pm. Rob needed to be there to line up at 6:30, which is the same time the nursery opened, and (God is so good) these locations were in the same building and almost the same hallway!!! The kids wandered around talking to grads until the nursery opened up. Poor Anna was so confused...she'd see a guy in his regalia and say "Da-da!" only to get a perplexed look on her face when she got close to the person. It was pretty funny. Matthew spoke with Dr. Jackson, Chair of the Teacher Education department, who was in his doctorate regalia, and asked him if he was graduating too. Dr. Jackson said that he hoped so :)

After getting the kids into the nursery, I left Rob to find a seat. I knew which side Rob was entering on, so I sat there and was joined by the wife, mother, and brother of the friend who was with us for chapel. I was very glad to have someone to sit with :) The service was very nice and I really enjoyed the sermon given by G.S. Nair, Co-founder of the Fundamental Baptist Mission to India. One thing I miss about California is all of the foreign accents, so it was music to my ears to hear an Indian accent again.

At the end of the service, I helped my friend figure out where to get her tickets for graduation and then found Rob. We picked up our children, who made up 3/4 of the kids in the nursery that night. Tomorrow, Matthew will attend graduation with me (so pray he's well-behaved!!) I put him in the nursery tonight b/c I didn't think he'd handle two services in a row. Another praise: the people running the nursery work in various children's ministries at church, so our kids knew them very well. That's always helpful for Ben, our shy one.

Tomorrow, the big guy graduates. I'm so proud of him. I bought him some blue and yellow flowers today (MBBC colors...and Cedarville's for that matter!) and a card. We'll head off for a family party tomorrow afternoon in Madison. I can't believe it's coming to a close. It has just been a bunch of events on the calendar, but it's really here. And then he starts seminary in the fall......which he keeps reminding me is different.....good different......

No comments: