Monday, January 25, 2010

Eat This Not That

One of the goals Rob and I set for the family this year is to continue to transition into healthy eating. We had seen the Eat This Not That book series before and really liked them, so we ordered the kid's book and supermarket book from half.com. (our new favorite website.) If you've never seen the books before, then allow me to explain. The author goes through each section of the supermarket and details the nutritional content of many packaged foods, as well as pantry staple items, produce, meats, and dairy. In the kids book he gives the specs on kiddie restaurant foods as well. The left page is "eat this" items as opposed to the right sides "not that." Some of the items he says are not all that great (like candy, breakfast pastries, etc) but he lets you know what the lesser of two evils are.

I'm finding that it's a great tool as I grocery shop. I took it with me as my sole companion last week and did some comparisons on the labels at Aldi's vs. the Eat this stuff. I found that the vast majority of Aldi's snack foods lines up with the "not that" side! The other things I buy at Aldi's are comparable to the "eat this" stuff or better, so I'll still be able to save some money. I haven't taken it to Wal-Mart yet to compare the "Great Value" line but I have looked over Pick-n-Save and most of their store brand stuff is fine.

I recommend that if you haven't seen them, check them out from the library. We all know that many pre-packaged things are full of garbage, but some surprised me with how GOOD they are and some with how HORRIBLE they are. The biggest shocker to me is that boxed mac and cheese is hands down the worst food you can feed your kids from a box. I knew it wasn't good, but the worst? Turns out it's better to feed them Spagettio's! (but not from Aldi's).

Anyway, the boys have really gotten into this. We explained how the books work, so even Ben, a non-reader, can flip through it and figure out what's good and bad. They constantly ask before taking a bite, "Is this an eat this or a not that?" And that's what is most important--teaching them about healthy eating. I'll never be a size 6 (shoot, I'd settle for 16 at this point) but I can at least train my children on how to eat and give them the proper tools for making wise food choices when they are older.

And I'll guess I'll eat my Reese's when they're not looking. What? It's on the "eat this" side!!!

6 comments:

Shanti said...

Thanks for the more detailed review! I'll see if they have it at my library first!

I have to say, I am surprised that Mac N' Cheese was worse than Spaghettios.

Beverly said...

Woohoo for Reese's being on the Eat This side!!

Boo for no boxed mac-n-cheese. :-( That's a weekly fix around here...what is it that's bad? Preservatives? Would boxes from Trader Joe's be any better?

The Hawker Family said...

love that book!!!!

The Harrisons said...

I am not surprised at the mac and cheese - no powder that color can possibly be good for you - lol

I will have to check out those books - sounds like a good balance of saving money and eating healthier!

Unknown said...

Kraft Mac and Cheese contains 4g of trans fat, 410 calories, and 19g of fat in one cup prepared. Spaghettios have 1g fat, 200 calories, and no trans fat per serving. If you want to do a boxed mac and cheese, he recommends Kraft Deluxe or Annie's white cheddar version.

One other thing I love is that he takes the worst of the food and drinks and tells you the fat or sugar equivalent. Example: A Twix candy bar has the fat equivalent of 11 strips of bacon. And a Klondike bar has the same amount of saturated fat as a pound of ground beef. Just reading the book alone is an appetite suppressant!!

Natalie said...

Okay, you must stop posting these things. I don't want to know! I like my oblivious state! :)