Friday, January 8, 2010

Stairsliding 101, Intermediate, and Advanced

Remember stair sliding? You get into your footie pajamas, go to the top of a carpeted staircase, and slide down. (It helps if your father isn't at the door at the bottom of the stairs, gleefully slamming the door shut just as you get to the bottom.) There are many ways to slide down the stairs, and my children will now teach you how to properly slide downstairs for the beginner through the more advanced stair slider.

Anna: I'm a beginning slider. When I'm in my footies (and sometimes when I'm not) I like to get at the stop of the stairs and slide down on my bottom in a sitting position. This allows me to control how fast/slow I go down the stairs. I have progressed into sliding on my tummy, which is the classic stair sliding position. Yelling "wwweeee!!!" as you go down is a must!

Benjamin: I'm an intermediate slider. I usually go down in the classic position, but I can also slide down head first. I like to see how quickly I can go down the stairs, crashing into the wall at the bottom. I'm not always very careful and have been known to hit innocent bystanders. (i.e. Anna and Mommy)

Matthew: I'm an advanced slider. I do things on the stairs my mommy never even dreamed about when she was a stair slider. I was never really at the beginner level, having mastered intermediate from the time I could walk up them unassisted. My favorite way to slide down the stairs is to get a plastic tray and ride it down like a sled. Man, you should see me fly! Ben is on his way to advanced level, as I taught him to do this too. Unfortunately, we broke Mommy's trays and can't do it anymore. But hey, a piece of cardboard would work! Just tonight, Ben and I were piggy-back sliding down the stairs. Ben got on his tummy in classic position, I climbed on his back, and we went down together. Ben was brave enough to get on my back twice, but he's not too sure about it. Can't wait to see what I think up next!

And there you have it, how to slide down the stairs. This stuff is not for the faint of heart!

2 comments:

Beverly said...

LOL! Love this post. :-)

Shanti said...

No major injuries yet?? Impressive! :-P