Monday, July 2, 2007

Bike Rides

Today I decided to be a bit adventerous and took Matthew on his very first bike ride. He has a miniature bike, complete with pedals and training wheels, and he's been trying to ride it in the backyard. Most of the time he just rides it down the sidewalk back there and walks it back up again. He's been pretty good about actually pedalling, so I thought we take it for a test run on the sidewalks of Watertown.

Yeah. So, my amazing little cyclist took forty minutes to go five blocks. It's a good thing that Ben is a patient little guy, because his stroller was constantly stopping and back tracking. I was patient, I used calm words, and I taught Bike Riding 001 to the best of my ability, but I still ended up frazzled by the end of the trip. He did do well and managed to go a few sidewalk squares at a time before having to push himself, but most of the time he was frustrated. We tried to visit his friends down the block, but "Shanti" was upstairs and didn't hear us and dear little "Gretel" wouldn't open the door. So, we ended up back at home after a long, grueling ride/walk. Will I take him out again?? Absolutely. In fact, we'll try to go tomorrow. As much as it wears on my patience, he needs to learn, and we'll keep going at it until he is successful. Even if it kills me.

Ben had his own little ride today. After our bike/walk, we came home so we could grab some library books and head off to return them. I left Ben in the stroller on the porch, because I was (say it with me, Moms) ONLY GOING TO BE A MINUTE. In that short time, Matthew took his bike around back, came onto the porch, and pushed the stroller down the stairs. I came outside to find Ben flat on the ground, but still strapped into the stroller. He didn't even cry and looked at me as if to say, "What? That was fun!" Thankfully, our library trip went off without a hitch.

Thus ended our amazing morning adventures. I think they earned their naps and I earned my coveted card-making time. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you about the time Dan was in an umbroller stroller and I was helping Grandma Hazel shop. He footed his way to the top of the esculator before I realized he had moved. I shot like a bullet to catch him before he went down it.

Mom

Shanti said...

I think I have learnt heaps of patience since becoming a mom. In fact, I don't think I had a clue as to what patience was before motherhood!!

Sorry I missed ya! You need to scream like a banshee outside my door for me to hear you upstairs. That'll give the neighbors something else to talk about. It gets boring in lil' ol W-town. They need some excitement.