Thursday, July 5, 2007

A Happy 4th of July

When I think about the Litwiller 4th of July, I smile. Yesterday was quite a lot of fun. Exhausting, but fun. We had two big events planned and both went well.

Every year Watertown has a big parade on the 4th and since we're only a block or so from the parade route, we decided to go. Rob set out our chairs the night before (along with everyone else in town) and then it rained. By the next morning, the rain had stopped and the chairs were dry enough to inhabit for the two-hour parade. Yep, two hours. It was long, but it was fun. We were surrounded by people from church (thankfully...don't you hate it when you get stuck next to smokers and swearers???) and we had a blast. We had to train young Matthew in the fine art of running into the street for candy. He looked at us with a funny look because he knows better than to run into the street, but once the candy started flying, he lost his inhibitions. We asked him afterwards what he saw in the parade. He said, "Candy! And more candy! And it was coming right at me!" We have quite a haul of goodies in the cupboard right now. Oh, and Rob and I have our own treats as well. Ebert's Greenhouse handed out plants, Pizza Hut gave out frisbees, and Berres Brothers threw out small packages of coffee. That was the funniest one, because all of the adults started standing and make spectacles of themselves (Rob and I included). We had a great time. We came home just a little sunburned (because Mommy forgot to grease everyone) but at least we got our Vitamin D for the day.

After the parade, we quickly packed the car and headed to Bartlett for a family get-together. My brother put together an impromtu cook-out and amazingly, the whole family was able to make it. His wife's parents graciously opened their home to our crazy clan. It was a ball! We were able to visit with everyone (although with so many people hanging around it was hard to talk to any one person for more than a few minutes.) My nieces are still adorable as ever and I got to hold the newest addition. I know we live far closer now than we did when we were in Cali, but it doesn't seem close enough. I'd love to get to know those darling little girls even better.

Matthew was actually behaving pretty well and Ben was being his usual charming self. I'm impressed that I didn't even really need to discipline MJ (well, until he ran out the door and didn't obey his aunt, for which I think he apologized.) He and his older cousin spent a good part of the time visiting together and I got a very cute picture of them. Oh, and we finally got a full family shot, something we hadn't done for a long time. I'd add them to this post, but I don't know how. I'll figure it out sooner or later.....

We left, rather reluctantly, so that Rob could get some rest before heading to work at 5am. Rob stopped off at a Starbucks so he could revive himself for the trip. Ah, sweet nectar of life that is coffee! Anyway, we had a fun trip home and were able to see lots of fireworks in the various towns as we drove. We did get stuck in a rainstorm, but thankfully we were near our exit and just waited it out at a gas station. The kids took little five minute naps off and on on the way home and were ready for bed. Well, Matthew was. Ben stayed awake and listened to the fireworks outside. He laughed his little head off at the noises! He loves noise!

It was a very good day. The only interesting downfall was hitting more toll booths than we anticipated. We had to blow through the last one before getting to Bartlett, but Rob asked a toll booth worker about it on the way back and got a form to fill out and send in with the missed payment. You just gotta love my honest husband. (I know, I know...we could get a ticket, but it's 60 cents, for pitty's sake!)

All in all, it was a great day. The kids slept in this morning (7:20!) and are napping now. I think I will join them zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................................

4 comments:

Shanti said...

I bet the serious heavy duty java drinkers really stood out in the crowd when the Berres Brother's float went by. haha!

Sounds like you guys definitely had a blast! BTW...I didn't know you could just blow through a toll booth! Don't they have those gate things in front of them that' don't lift up if you don't stick moolah in?

Unknown said...

You can when there is no gate :) In Illinois, it would be quite easy because they have I-Pass lanes with no gates. We might just get one so we don't get stuck w/o change again. And Rob just found out that you don't get a ticket until you have three violations! Woo-hoo! We get to keep our sixty cents.

The Harrisons said...

Sounds like a busy day!

Okay - here is the easy version of attaching pics. I usually save it to the desktop as something I will recognize easily. Then in the same window where you type your regular blog entry is a button that just looks like a picture. Click it and it will open up a browser window. Go to your desktop and pick your pic and click upload. It appears in the space where you type as a bunch of code but if you hit preview you can see what it looks like. I would love to see the pics of the 4th. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks! I'll try it later today.